RT Specialty, a division of Ryan Specialty Group is looking for an Underwriter to join our Depew, NY team. We are a fast paced, energetic and rapidly growing organization that offers a great opportunity for someone interested in further developing their career.
The RT Underwriter is focused on developing and maintaining a profitable book of business by building relationships with internal and external stakeholders. This role requires an eye on high quality submissions, discussions regarding pricing with the agent and guidance to other coverages appropriate for the insured. Submissions are analyzed in accordance with guidelines set forth within authority granted from appointed E&S, admitted and non-admitted carriers. RT Underwriters work closely with other Underwriting colleagues (junior and senior) as well as Underwriting Assistants in the prioritization and processing of the quotes including risk evaluation, pricing and terms and conditions. The primary roles of the Underwriter include (1) external selling and negotiating, problem solving and relationship management and (2) the effective use of company and carrier specific technology to control E&O exposure and ensure the timely and accurate disposition of policies and endorsements within contractually bound timeframes. RT Underwriters is also accountable for achieving premium budget forecasts, profit and loss, and business development in the assigned territory.
- Holds the appropriate licenses for all marketing jurisdictions.
- Communication of risk appetite and the RT Value proposition to the agent.
- Develop strong, long term relationships with the agents to add to a profitable book of business.
- Manage internal and external relationships that will contribute to a superior service experience for the agent and broker customer.
- Senior level underwriters will provide guidance and direction to junior staff including underwriters and underwriting assistants as needed.
- Quickly evaluate, prioritize, and select submissions and price risks that will develop an underwriting profit for the carrier; refer or decline risks that present excessive risk.
- Liaise with resources for individual risk assessment, including financial and COPE data.
- Collaborate with internal team on targeted, desirable accounts.
- Recognize and create cross sell opportunities for other products.
- Work with agents to understand options that best meet insured needs.
- Negotiate terms and conditions with the agent or broker.
- Participate in RT underwriting projects as needed.
- Other relevant duties as assigned
- Minimum of five (5) years underwriting preferred.
- Transportation underwriting background preferred.
- Bachelors preferred.
- Strong analytical and negotiating skills.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to travel to agent and broker, carrier, and employer meetings.
- Ability to work in a highly automated, paperless environment, including specialized software packages.
- Basic computer skills including MS Office Suite.
Ryan Specialty Group is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Depew, New York