Underwriter - Life Insurance
6 days left
- Career Level
- Experienced (Non-Manager)
The Knights of Columbus is the world’s largest Catholic fraternal organization, with more than 1.8 million members in over a dozen countries. Founded in 1882, the Knights of Columbus both offers and promotes a parish-based model for Catholic lay leadership and service, and is a fraternal benefit society that provides life insurance for members and their families.
With over $100 billion of insurance in force, and more than $21 billion in assets under management, the Knights of Columbus is a Fortune 1000 company. There is no more highly rated insurer in North America than the Knights of Columbus.
Last year our members donated more than $174 million to charity and performed more than 71 million hours of service, making the Knights of Columbus one of the world’s leading charitable organizations.
The Underwriter underwrites individual life insurance contracts ranging in amounts through $750,000. Selects individual life insurance risks, binding the Knights of Columbus on each contract.
- Assists in training underwriting staff; coaches, provides feedback, counsels and motivates employees. Makes recommendations on hiring, performance appraisals and all related employment issues.
- Appraises, classifies and takes action to approve or decline applications for new insurance, changes of plan, conversions, exchanges, reinstatements and additions of benefits. Determines extra premiums for medical impairments and special hazards such as aviation, occupation, foreign residence and travel and unusual avocations. Classifies each insurance applicant to eliminate adverse selection while maintaining an equitable mortality.
- Work on applications both in French and English if required.
- Provides second review of special cases for accuracy and adherence to underwriting standards as needed.
- Communicates with field force and Home Office personnel regarding insurance applications and adjustments. Answers inquiries from other departments and field force concerning the Order’s underwriting policies, practices and procedures related to individual applications
- Bachelor's degree
- Over 5 years of related underwriting experience or equivalent combination of training and experience
- Knowledge of KofC policies and insurance products / offerings.
- Knowledge of medical terminology and health metrics and physiology to make a risk assessment.
- Able to interpret EKG results.
- Knowledge of federal and state insurance regulations
- Good business judgment / risk assessment skills.
- Capable of making informed, independent decisions.
- Attention to detail.
- Effective oral and written communication skills
- Problem solving and analytical skills
Apply for Underwriter - Life Insurance
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly