Chief Architect - Life Technology Solutions
- Career Level
- Not Specified
Where good people build rewarding careers.
Think that working in the insurance field can't be exciting, rewarding and challenging? Think again. You'll help us reinvent protection and retirement to improve customers' lives. We'll help you make an impact with our training and mentoring offerings. Here, you'll have the opportunity to expand and apply your skills in ways you never thought possible. And you'll have fun doing it. Join a company of individuals with hopes, plans and passions, all using and developing our talents for good, at work and in life.
The Chief Architect is responsible for the architectural direction supporting Life Technology Solutions (LTS) and alignment with enterprise architectural direction of Allstate. The incumbent would be leading the formulation of technology strategy and resultant technology architecture that enables current and future business needs and strategies.
The architecture role contributes to the models (conceptual and design) on which applications are based and ensures strategic alignment for the logical structures on which applications or infrastructures are being built, tested and implemented. Manages resources and leads the delivery of technology projects.
The Chief Architect directs the team of architects involved in the design, development, and implementation of large-scale IT projects involving significant impacts to the company's technology architecture. The Chief Architect provides thought leadership driving technology strategies, architecture designs, plans, or projects, and establishes priorities. Evaluating multiple projects for efficiency and leading, motivating, and influencing resources are also responsibilities of the Chief Architect.
The Chief Architect is the primary integration point between IT architecture and other parts of the enterprise, interacting with and presenting complex architecture solutions and strategies to C-level executives within Allstate Life and Retirement (ALR) and other areas of Allstate.
In alignment with corporate goals, specific responsibilities for the Chief Architect will include:
- Cultivate relationships with key business stakeholders and technology management.
- Maintain in-depth knowledge of business strategies and plans as well as industry trends and regulatory impacts.
- Lead a team of Solution Architects who maintain end-to-end designs and oversee implementation of complex integrated systems.
- Maintain working knowledge of the organization's current technologies and architectures.
- Ensure ongoing development and maintenance of current and future state architectures as well as multi-year roadmaps.
- Oversee the unit level contribution to, and implementation of the enterprise data strategy including data protection and quality directives.
- Maintain in-depth knowledge of Life and Annuity technology industry best practices, technologies, architectures and emerging technologies.
- Act as the focal point for Allstate Life and Retirement/Life Technology Solutions from the perspective of enterprise architecture and governance.
- Ensure new and existing program/project architectures comply with technology standards, governance policies and architectural plans.
- Review technology procurement for alignment with current and evolving enterprise standards and architectural plans.
- Identify architectural risks and propose alternatives and solutions.
- Provide thought leadership, innovative ideas, and drive toward partnership at the table with business leaders. Act as a thought leader representing Allstate and influence the standards and practices established for the industry.
- Defines enterprise reference architectures in collaboration with all architecture disciplines and ensures that new architecture components comply with existing enterprise reference architectures.
- Gain recognition as an industry thought leader in their relevant discipline and becoming a technology ambassador on behalf of Allstate.
- Leverage internal and external benchmarking of emerging technologies, industry innovations, and competitor technology positioning trends to define new or refresh existing strategic architectures.
- Models and creates an environment of accountability for multiple organizations, peer groups and senior leaders by setting clear performance objectives in support of business outcomes.
- Collects multiple levels of staff performance data against desired outcomes and service level agreements ensuring that strategic outcomes at the broader organizational level are achieved.
The successful candidates for the Chief Architect position will have a combination of both technical and personal skills necessary to meet the demands of market and profit requirements of Allstate Life and Retirement.
An ideal candidate would possess the following minimal qualifications:
- College degree with technical study is required;
- 15+ year's technical experience in architecture, design, and/or project management and 7+ years of management experience; including leading leader.
- Proven track record of providing end-to-end technical thought leadership on large scale initiatives that integrate multiple complex systems.
- Possess knowledge of multiple programming languages, database products, computing environments, hardware architectures and integration strategies.
- Proficient in more than one development methodologies including agile practices such as SCRUM or XP.
Additional qualifications that would put candidates in a preferred position would include:
- Being current with trends in the information technology industry with a special eye towards Life Insurance and Annuities businesses.
- Having proficiency with innovations and emerging technology themes in the Life Insurance and Annuities businesses.
- Having proven accountability for leading an organization of highly talented individuals – including people processes, client/partner relationships, work processes and delivery of work products.
Good Work. Good Life. Good Hands®.
As a Fortune 100 company and industry leader, we provide a competitive salary – but that's just the beginning. Our Total Rewards package also offers benefits like tuition assistance, medical and dental insurance, as well as a robust pension and 401(k). Plus, you'll have access to a wide variety of programs to help you balance your work and personal life -- including a generous paid time off policy.
Learn more about life at Allstate. Connect with us on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and LinkedIn or watch a video.
Allstate generally does not sponsor individuals for employment-based visas for this position.
Effective July 1, 2014, under Indiana House Enrolled Act (HEA) 1242, it is against public policy of the State of Indiana and a discriminatory practice for an employer to discriminate against a prospective employee on the basis of status as a veteran by refusing to employ an applicant on the basis that they are a veteran of the armed forces of the United States, a member of the Indiana National Guard or a member of a reserve component.
For jobs in San Francisco, please see the notice regarding the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
It is the policy of Allstate to employ the best qualified individuals available for all jobs without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity/gender expression, disability, and citizenship status as a veteran with a disability or veteran of the Vietnam Era.