Director Communications Allstate Life and Retirement
- Career Level
- Not Specified
Where good people build rewarding careers.
Think that working in the insurance field can't be exciting, rewarding and challenging? Think again. You'll help us reinvent protection and retirement to improve customers' lives. We'll help you make an impact with our training and mentoring offerings. Here, you'll have the opportunity to expand and apply your skills in ways you never thought possible. And you'll have fun doing it. Join a company of individuals with hopes, plans and passions, all using and developing our talents for good, at work and in life.
The Communications Director will report to the SVP of Corporate Relations, with dotted line reporting relationships to the President Allstate Life and Retirement. The individual will be responsible for developing, managing, and measuring communication strategies and initiatives to support the Allstate Life and Retirement business. The Communications Director will also be accountable for working with Allstate Life and Retirement Services, LLC and Allstate Personal Lines in supporting and engaging Allstate agency owners to become trusted advisors offering broad protection and retirement solutions to customers. All strategic communications will be grounded in stakeholder research.
In alignment with corporate goals, specific responsibilities for the Communications Director will include the following:
- Become a critical leader and strategic advisor on the Corporate Relations and Allstate Life and Retirement leadership teams;
- Create and lead a strategic integrated communication plan to help drive Allstate Life and Retirement's business outcomes, including an increase in consumer consideration of Allstate for their financial service needs;
- Develop an Allstate Life and Retirement narrative to align senior leaders with the inspiring core messaging and help employees live into the vision of the business;
- Partner with the Corporate Relations and Marketing teams to develop, manage and integrate a research-based, multi-faceted consumer outreach strategy to promote the full range of Allstate's products and services;
- Proactively manage existing and emerging issues that may have an impact on business performance;
- Provide counsel on reputation threats and opportunities;
- Build an Allstate Life and Retirement Communications team to develop and implement communication and change management plans to advance the business and increase employee engagement;
- Provide executive communications support for senior leaders, including external positioning plans as appropriate.
CHALLENGES WITHIN THE FIRST 12 MONTHS:
The most significant challenges in the first 12 months include:
- Learning the organization, culture and processes; gaining the respect of the leadership team;
- Effectively working with the entire team to create excitement about the future of Allstate Life and Retirement;
- Increase Allstate agency owner understanding of and engagement with financial services as a critical part of their role serving the needs of their customers;
- Helping improve and sustain the financial results for the business unit;
- Supporting the development of the next generation of business leaders.
The successful candidate will have:
- Minimum of 10 years' experience in business, public relations, corporate communications, media relations and/or a related field.
- Advanced communications strategy and planning experience and a superb writing ability.
- Extensive knowledge and expertise in financial services.
- Prior experience working with C-suite leaders is required.
- Advanced strategic thinking and leadership skills, including: developing and maintaining constructive, open, and honest relationships with internal and external partners, using insightful judgment, driving innovation, and influencing others.
- Experience crafting communications about large corporate and financial transformations and change management initiatives.
- Established media relationships and the demonstrated ability to build and sustain these relationships.
- A bachelor's degree is required. Majors in business, marketing, journalism, English, or a related field are highly desired.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS PACKAGE:
- A competitive compensation and benefits package will be provided, including an attractive base salary, an annual target bonus opportunity and participation in a long term equity program based on the company's and the individual's performance.
- Additionally, Allstate offers a competitive benefits programs and resources.
The candidate(s) offered this position will be required to submit to a background investigation, which includes a drug screen.
Good Work. Good Life. Good Hands®.
As a Fortune 100 company and industry leader, we provide a competitive salary – but that's just the beginning. Our Total Rewards package also offers benefits like tuition assistance, medical and dental insurance, as well as a robust pension and 401(k). Plus, you'll have access to a wide variety of programs to help you balance your work and personal life -- including a generous paid time off policy.
Learn more about life at Allstate. Connect with us on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and LinkedIn or watch a video.
Allstate generally does not sponsor individuals for employment-based visas for this position.
Effective July 1, 2014, under Indiana House Enrolled Act (HEA) 1242, it is against public policy of the State of Indiana and a discriminatory practice for an employer to discriminate against a prospective employee on the basis of status as a veteran by refusing to employ an applicant on the basis that they are a veteran of the armed forces of the United States, a member of the Indiana National Guard or a member of a reserve component.
For jobs in San Francisco, please see the notice regarding the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
It is the policy of Allstate to employ the best qualified individuals available for all jobs without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity/gender expression, disability, and citizenship status as a veteran with a disability or veteran of the Vietnam Era.