Commercial Lines Underwriting Manager
- Career Level
This role will provide motivational leadership and oversight for underwriters. They will work with underwriters to consult, evaluate and underwrite complex, special and/or unique accounts.
Essential Functions may include, but are not limited to the following:
- Actively participates in recruitment, training and development, coaching and counseling of underwriting staff.
- May underwrite complex commercial business.
- Manages department workflow and monitors daily productivity to ensure proper controls and procedures are documented, maintained and followed
- Manages staff which includes setting goals and preparing and administering formal performance reviews in accordance with Company policies and procedures.
- Coordinates regular and systematic quality control audits for each assigned staff member.
- Establishes workload and monitors underwriters’ production.
- Supports the SVP with the oversight and development of short and long-term Underwriting projects and strategic goals and objectives.
- Develops recommendations for new or improved operating procedures and practices supporting or impacting upon the activities of assigned personnel. Serves as department liaison on cross-functional business teams.
- Oversees development of underwriting guidelines, standards, and workflows. Resolves escalated issues. Ensures compliance to state laws and company requirements.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
• Thorough knowledge of principles and practices of commercial lines multi-peril underwriting.
• Knowledge of insurance policy language.
• Knowledge of employee management principles including hiring, supervision, training, retention, and performance evaluation.
• Managing and improving processes.
• Analyzing information, planning and tracking of budgets.
• Ability to use initiative and apply innovative thinking while effectively managing the team, including setting priorities, objectives and goals.
• Take initiative and apply innovative thinking.
• Ability to organize and prioritize work.
• Work independently to make critical decisions and analyze complex issues.
• Interpret and apply laws, rules and regulations.
• Obtain and utilize sensitive information discreetly and objectively.
• Maintain records, prepare reports and conduct correspondence related to the work.
• Collect, interpret, and input data efficiently and accurately.
• Determine when to escalate concerns to the appropriate level of management.
• Utilize computer and related software effectively.
• Bachelor’s Degree with a business discipline or closely related field and two (2) years of progressively responsible experience in insurance supported by two (2) years’ experience as a supervisor/manager/mentor/coach
• Associate’s Degree and five (5) years of experience in insurance supported by two (2) years of experience in a supervisory or supervisor/manager/mentor/coach capacity
• Equivalent combination of closely related education (Minimum High School Diploma or equivalent), training and experience.
Special Requirements, Licenses and Certificates
• AU, CIC, or CPCU designation preferred.
Apply for Commercial Lines Underwriting Manager
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly