Computer Operations/Help Desk Apprentice
- Career Level
- Not Specified
Corporate Ops/Help Desk Apprentice
The purpose of this entry level, part-time, Intern position is to obtain the knowledge and skill set necessary to perform IT processing functions which includes the operation of peripheral equipment, learning the skills necessary to perform tape management tasks, monitoring, simple call and problem handling/escalation on both mainframe and distributed platforms for Assurant subsidiaries. This position involves on-the-job training. This position supports the environment which includes all Assurant platforms, applications and systems across the entire enterprise, while involving the assistance of senior personnel.
The over all role of this position is to learn the functions and responsibilities of the Computer Operator and/or Help Desk Analysts position; and to provide backup support for these services to assist Assurant business partners in maintaining productivity in the operation of computer technology and processes. The Intern will assist with documentation of problems and solutions and records all activity and communications regarding problems.
- On-the-job training and work direction from senior personnel and follows detailed written procedures to perform all functions related to monitoring, tape processing, and/or to perform simple administration activities and tasks.
- Assist senior personnel in incident management and documentation which includes call and problem handling/escalation (accurately collect, analyze information, and escalate). - 60% of the time at the Help Desk.
- Develop the necessary skills and technical knowledge to provide backup support for Console Operator and/or Help Desk Analyst responsibilities.
- Prioritize and handle multiple tasks, pay close attention to detail.
- Assist the support of Tier 1 network, mainframe and client server application monitoring and/or escalation to ensure 24x7 availability.
- Team environment with situations involving minimal decision making.
- Complete departmental based training or with other IT departments specific to job responsibilities and tier 1 support.
- Candidate must have the ability to prioritize tasks, handle multiple tasks and pay close attention to detail.
- Must have the ability to learn a computer operations job through on-the-job training and computerized course work.
- Must have good written and verbal communication skills as well as excellent interpersonal skills.
- This is a 3 or 4 day, 8 hour day or night time shift. The position requires flexibility to work weekends and holidays as required.
- College or vocational school training in the Information Technology field is desired.
- Come with your desire for a career in Information Technology!