Geospatial Data Scientist
- Career Level
- Not Specified
Where good people build rewarding careers.
Think that working in the insurance field can't be exciting, rewarding and challenging? Think again. You'll help us reinvent protection and retirement to improve customers' lives. We'll help you make an impact with our training and mentoring offerings. Here, you'll have the opportunity to expand and apply your skills in ways you never thought possible. And you'll have fun doing it. Join a company of individuals with hopes, plans and passions, all using and developing our talents for good, at work and in life.
Data Science incorporates techniques across many disciplines – including mathematics/statistics, computer programming, data engineering and ETL, software development, and high performance computing – with traditional business expertise with the goal of extracting meaning from data to optimize future business decisions. We are looking for individuals that have experience specifically working with geospatial data. Individuals in this field should be an expert/fluent in several of these disciplines and sufficiently proficient in others to effectively design, build, and deliver end to end predictive analytics products to optimize future decisions. Individual demonstrates sufficient analytic agility to quickly develop new skills across these disciplines as those disciplines evolve. This role is responsible for leading the use of data to make decisions. This includes the development and management of new machine learning predictive modeling algorithms; the coding\development of tools that use machine learning/predictive modeling to make business decisions; searching for and integrating new data (both internal and external) that improves our modeling and machine learning results (and ultimately our decisions); and discovery of solutions to business problems that can be solved through the use of machine learning/predictive modeling.
- Uses best practices to develop statistical, machine learning techniques to build models on geospatial data that would handle a wide range of problems.
- Develop customized, spatial-related software solutions involving the use of GIS, remote sensing, numeric modeling, business intelligence and mathematical optimization techniques.
- In a team setting, process, manipulate, and analyze geospatial data to extract knowledge or insights from large amounts of vector and raster data.
- Candidates should draw from the fields of GIS, statistics, machine learning and/or predictive analytics. Analytic findings will be presented to internal customers in our Connected Car program
- Provide fused intelligence bridging geospatial and intelligence analysis and continuity between strategic, operational, and tactical level planning.
- Utilize ArcGIS and other geospatial tools to assist in visualizing and analyzing geospatial data.
- Work on data analysis and predictive modeling of geospatial and sensor data collected from the car and mobile phones (GPS, accelerometer, gyroscope, etc.)
- Identify KPI's generated from geospatial data.
- Manages data and data requests to improve the accuracy of our data and decisions made from data analysis.
- Uses and learns a wide variety of tools and languages to achieve results (e.g., R, Python, Hadoop).
- Identifies languages and tools that can bring efficiencies or needed techniques to the team.
- Works on data and business problems to drive improved business results through designing, building, and partnering to implement models.
- Collaborates with the team in order to improve the effectiveness of business decisions through the use of data and machine learning/predictive modeling.
- Communicates to team members, leadership and stakeholders on findings to ensure models are well understood and incorporated into business processes.
- Works with leaders to ensure the project will meet their needs.
- The development and execution of a communication strategy, with appropriate coaching, that keeps all relevant stakeholders informed and provides an opportunity to influence the direction of the work.
- Reviews and evaluates on appropriateness of techniques, given current modeling practices, to senior leadership.
- Degree in a quantitative field such as statistics, mathematics, computer science, finance.
- Experience in using statistical modeling and/or machine learning techniques to build models on geospatial data to drive company's business results.
- Strong understanding of geospatial data
- Advanced-level proficiency using ESRI ArcGIS software suite.
- Experience in working with statistical software such as SAS, SPSS, MatLab, R, CART, etc.
- Ability to code and develop prototypes in languages such as Python, Perl, Java, C.
- Knowledge of advanced modeling techniques.
- Ability to analyze and interpret moderate to complex concepts.
- Ability to provide written and oral interpretation of highly specialized terms and data, and ability to present this data to others with different levels of expertise.
- Demonstrated analytic agility.
- Master's or PhD preferred in a quantitative field such as statistics, mathematics, computer science, finance, or economics.
- Experience in managing and manipulating large, complex datasets.
- Understanding of the Insurance market place; economics and regulation preferred.
- Experience with navigation sensors such as GPS, gyroscope, accelerometer.
Good Work. Good Life. Good Hands®.
Allstate is where good people can build a rewarding career and we provide the resources you need to succeed, both personally and professionally. Our culture and employee programs have also drawn praise from outside organizations like Working Mother magazine, LATINA Style and Black Enterprise. Learn more about the resources, benefits, and programs Allstate has to offer you under the MyWorkLife tab on MyDesktop.
Hear what other Allstaters think. Follow us on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and LinkedIn or watch a video.
Please note, to be fully considered for this opportunity you must attach an updated resume to your profile when you apply, and if applicable, include:
- Your updated Allstate position(s) and titles, specific experiences and skills developed
- Committee/subgroup work
- Talent Share opportunities
- Completed programs/coursework
Visit "Managing Your Career" located under MyWorkLife (via MyDesktop) to further enhance your career profile and development goals.
Allstate generally does not sponsor individuals for employment-based visas for this position.
Effective July 1, 2014, under Indiana House Enrolled Act (HEA) 1242, it is against public policy of the State of Indiana and a discriminatory practice for an employer to discriminate against a prospective employee on the basis of status as a veteran by refusing to employ an applicant on the basis that they are a veteran of the armed forces of the United States, a member of the Indiana National Guard or a member of a reserve component.
For jobs in San Francisco, please see the notice regarding the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
It is the policy of Allstate to employ the best qualified individuals available for all jobs without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity/gender expression, disability, and citizenship status as a veteran with a disability or veteran of the Vietnam Era.