At American Family Insurance, we're driven by our customers and employees. That's why we provide more than just a job – we provide opportunity. Whether you're already part of our team in search of a new challenge or new to our company and ready for what's next, you're in the right place. Every dream is a journey that starts with a single step. Start your journey right here. Join our team. Bring your dreams.Quick Stats:
WI Madison-East Regional Ofc
R2437 Personal Lines Underwriting Manager (Open)
Manages team of underwriters (teams process business by state) to effectively underwrite Personal Lines new applications and renewal business. Manages direct reports, systems and projects to achieve unit and strategic state goals. Establishes, communicates and implements departmental plans, objectives, and strategies.
*Relocation assistance is available.
*Offer to selected candidate will be made contingent on the results of applicable background checks.
*Offer to selected candidate is contingent on signing a non-disclosure agreement for proprietary information, trade secrets, and inventions.
* Our policy restricts consideration of applicants needing employment sponsorship (visas) to specialty occupations. Sponsorship will not be considered for this position.
*Please note that actual travel requirements are closer to 25% of the time (instead of 50%).
First-Line Management / Leadership for Individual Unit (30%)
- Manages direct reports, systems and projects to achieve unit goals. This is done in accordance with company policies and practices.
- Prepares and analyzes unit plans and reports.
- Provides leadership by exhibiting influence and expertise, thus affecting the results of the operating area.
- Performs administrative activities in a timely manner necessary to effectively manage the department, including but not limited to budget preparation, reports preparation, salary administration.
- Creates an effective work environment by developing a common vision, setting clear objectives, expecting teamwork, recognizing outstanding performance and maintaining open communications.
- Develops staff through coaching, providing performance feedback, providing effective performance reviews, and establishing development plans.
Account Underwriting (20%)
- Manages the evaluation of risk standards (selection, classification, characteristics, etc.) for new and renewal Personal Lines products consistent with division and company goals.
- Responsible for the adherence to applicable laws, statutes, and regulations as they apply to the processing of Personal Lines products.
- Applies technology to gain awareness of current Personal Lines operations business problems.
- Approves underwriting decisions that exceed the line underwriter authority. Underwrites the most technical and involved cases, to arrive at an underwriting decision of acceptance or rejection of the risk. Conducts audits to carry out established underwriting rules, policies and procedures for the risk standards.
- Participates in formulating a training and development plan for Underwriting staff that supports the desired performance standards necessary to achieve business goals.
- Provides input to the Operations Director, Property/Casualty Line leadership and business partners in the evaluation and response to regulations, statutes, and legal requirements governing the policies and standards for risk evaluation. Recommends changes, enhancements and new products to appropriate Property/Casualty Line department staff.
- Contributes to the formulation and execution of state-level operational plans as a member of the state cross-divisional profit and growth planning process
Risk Management (20%)
- Communicates and facilitates activity between sales management and Personal Lines Operations teams regarding business practices.
- Monitors adherence to underwriting guidelines.
- Resolves complex and escalated underwriting decisions.
- Identifies opportunities to improve business practices or procedures. Monitors effectiveness of current products and recommends changes and/or enhancements to Property/Casualty Line Department or Product Lines Territory division for evaluation.
Strategies Linked to the Division's Business Goals / Results (10%)
- Establishes, communicates and implements departmental plans, objectives, and strategies.
- Participates as a member of the management team.
- Maintains an active awareness of American Family's business environments, corporate culture and structure to support key decision-making.
Relationship Management (10%)
- Builds and maintains communication channels with field force management and other internal department managers to advance company goals.
- Manages relationship with state insurance departments and members of the public regarding specific inquiries and/or complaints. Handles complaint inquiries for area of responsibility.
- Establishes positive relationships and a team approach to accomplish divisional and corporate goals through horizontal and vertical alignment across and within the division.
- Provides information to Product Lines Territory division that will affect profit and growth plan execution on an ongoing basis.
- Functions as the main communication link to Property/Casualty and Specialty Line Departments from Operations.
- Serves as a subject matter resource within Personal Lines Operations for underwriting references. Provide information on existing company policies, guidelines, state regulations, procedures, projects, product design and other divisional and cross-divisional projects.
- Assists with and responds to the implementation of changes necessary within Operations to resolve underwriting issues identified in internal audits.
- Provides and/or coordinates the delivery of training for underwriting functions, system enhancements and products.
Specialized Knowledge and Skills Requirements
- This position requires travel up to 50% of the time.
- Demonstrated experience providing customer-driven solutions, support or service
- Prior management or leadership experience in area(s) of accountability.
- Solid Property and Casualty Insurance underwriting background.
- Strong understanding of disciplines within the insurance industry and their relationships with underwriting.
Stay connected: Join our Talent Community!