The National General Adjuster effectively determines and communicates the extent of loss or damage associated with highly complex and/or extensive commercial property claims in a variety of business classes. The National General Adjuster frequently manages large, complex loss or damage assessments that may exceed $1,500,000.
- Investigate insurance claims in any of a variety of settings, including, but not limited to, retail establishments, private or public office buildings, commercial habilitation, hospitality, corporate facilities, transportation sites, manufacturing sites, governmental facilities, schools, clinics, or hospitals; assess loss or damage resulting from various events including, but not limited to, inclement or catastrophic weather, earthquakes, fire, vandalism, or accidents.
- Using a broad and in-depth knowledge of property and construction, and/or knowledge of the specific industry or business affected, personally conduct property inspections and photograph claim sites as necessary to depict and substantiate losses or damage, or the lack thereof; manage the work of large, diverse teams of experts.
- Through interviewing or other methods, obtain necessary information from the claimant and from experts such as architects, engineers, builders, construction workers, police officers, health care practitioners, accountants, and others to fully and accurately assess the extent of the loss.
- Work cooperatively with expert witnesses, attorneys, public adjusters, and carrier's examiners as needed to conduct investigations, confirm findings and support evaluations.
- Apply a thorough understanding of insurance policies and policy interpretation, establishing appropriate loss estimates based on all relevant information and findings; demonstrate understanding of a variety of coverage and loss types, including, but not limited to, time-element, builders' risk, and stock losses; apply knowledge of property claim law and jurisdictional issues as required; apply knowledge of losses involving quota share and layered programs, inclusive of reporting to a broad, geographically dispersed market.
- Recommend the reasonable and proper amount the insurance company should pay on a claim.
- Ensure the accuracy of information collected and reported and guard against fraudulent claims.
- Prepare accurate, clear, thorough, and concise reports and letters to insurance carriers, including reports on complex and/or highly detailed claims, providing conclusions and recommendations. Follow established policies, procedures, and processes in preparing information, exercising sound judgment in applying these to potentially unusual or complicated situations, and submit reports and documents in a timely manner and in accordance with insurer's standards and expectations. Effectively use software systems such as Xactimate as necessary to produce accurate estimates.
- Maintain accurate, thorough field notes, journal entries, and time and expense records as required. Submit reimbursement reports in keeping with organization and client policies, procedures, and practices and with accepted industry standards. Apply knowledge of both time-and-expense and fee-for-service procedures, according to the stipulations of the agreement with the insurer.
- Prepare and conduct client presentations and lead marketing meetings with audiences including the insurance carrier's senior management members.
- Obtain supervision or guidance as necessary in handling extraordinary claims; follow EMA policy and practice, and incorporate expert judgment, in formulating recommendations and completing evaluations and reports.
- Stay abreast of industry information, development, and trends; maintain an understanding of the internal and external factors affecting the business from EMA's and the clients' perspective; participate in ongoing training and development as assigned or approved to assure knowledge and skills remain current and comprehensive.
- Function as an effective member of the team, assisting co-workers as needed and learning from colleagues and supervisors; orient and train entry level administrative and adjusting staff as assigned or approved; support the goals of the department, division, and organization; participate in special assignments and activities as required or approved; demonstrate initiative in the interest of the client and the organization.
- Upholds the values of Engle Martin & Associates and the culture espoused by The EM Way, consistently demonstrating professionalism, integrity and the highest standards of ethical behavior and professional conduct; conducts oneself in a manner that reflects favorably on the organization. Maintains the confidentiality of proprietary and sensitive information, exercising sound judgment and discretion in any disclosure of information related to EMA and its endeavors.
- Adhere to all applicable State Insurance Regulation requirements and other applicable laws, regulations, and standards; assume personal responsibility for maintaining the requisite state license for the state(s) assigned.
- Baccalaureate degree in a related field, or demonstration of equivalent knowledge and critical thinking skills.
- Substantial experience (typically 10 -15 years) in commercial property loss adjusting; experience with catastrophe claims; wide range of experience in various classes and types of business risk, including manufacturing, retail, industrial, habitational, and hospitality.
- Active license, preferably multi-jurisdictional, or ability to promptly obtain such, in the assigned state(s).
Ability to understand claims adjudication process; sound knowledge of commercial and residential construction industries and/or basic knowledge of automotive and transportation industry desirable; knowledge of property claim law; skills in analyzing, interpreting, synthesizing, prioritizing, and reporting pertinent information and discerning the essential from the non-essential; research and investigative abilities; negotiating, conflict resolution and persuasion abilities; sound written and oral communication skills, including skills in making client and public presentations; trustworthiness, integrity, personal accountability and adherence to standards of ethical behavior and professional conduct; keen service orientation and ability to grasp and respond to varying and multiple client needs; problem-solving; sound judgment and objectivity; care, compassion, and respect for co-workers and clients; commitment to professional and personal growth and development; commitment to continuous improvement ; team-oriented work style; attention to detail and accuracy; excellent time management and organization skills; basic mathematical and statistical skills; ability to interpret policies and other written technical information; gross- and fine-motor skills; commitment to confidentiality and ability to discretely handle sensitive information; skills in using word-processing, spreadsheet, and database software. Ability to safely operate a motor vehicle in a work capacity.
THE ENGLE MARTIN WAY: TOGETHER, IMPACTING LIVES AND SERVING WITH PASSION.
Engle Martin & Associates is dedicated to providing a culture of care, compassion, and respect among its employees, clients, and business partners. We recognize and celebrate the value of our employees’ contributions through initiatives such as the peer-nominated EMpact award and development of The EM Way. We also believe that it is critical to invest in the personal and professional development of our employees; therefore, we provide training opportunities through Engle Martin University, encourage industry association involvement, and support professional designations and certifications. Additionally, Engle Martin is committed to the continuous improvement of processes and procedures through activities such as Kaizen events featuring cross-functional team representatives.
Engle Martin recognizes, too, that it’s our responsibility to be a good corporate citizen, not only inside our organization but also within the community. Our company applauds community outreach across the country through our local EMbrace teams and promotes giving back to our communities through corporate charitable donation and employee donation match programs.