At American Family Insurance, we're driven by our customers and employees. That's why we provide more than just a job – we provide opportunity. Whether you're already part of our team in search of a new challenge or new to our company and ready for what's next, you're in the right place. Every dream is a journey that starts with a single step. Start your journey right here. Join our team. Bring your dreams.Quick Stats:
WI Madison-Fairchild Ste 300
R2489 Data & Science Software Engineer Student Internship (Open)
We are excited to offer Data Scientist Internships in our Data Science and Analytics Lab (DSAL) for the summer of 2017 (May-August), in our downtown Madison, WI office. The purpose of the DSAL Internships are to develop, establish and maintain DSAL strategies to meet organizational objectives. Effective management of assigned related activities will also be responsibilities of the position.The student intern works under the direction of a senior level employee or manager to complete projects or tasks that support the business area goals and results. Performs tasks by adapting to new or changing situations in a team environment. Gathers information, plans and organizes work efficiently and effectively. Applies and learns technical skills appropriate to the specific job assignment.
Want to help to transform an industry and have fun while you're at it? American Family's Data Science and Analytics Lab (DSAL) is charged with using advanced analytical techniques – including machine learning, natural language processing, statistics, and geospatial analysis – combined with new and existing sources of data to help create the future of insurance. From our offices in downtown Chicago and Madison, Wisconsin, we are using data-driven insights to envision new products, services, and means of engaging customers, as well as to design fundamentally new businesses and business models for insurance and beyond. Our focus is on incorporating the explosion of new data sources becoming available from mobile, social media, and the Internet-of-Things to transform how we serve and engage with our customers. Come work with our diverse mixture of computer scientists, data engineers, and software engineers as part of a small and agile team.
As an intern with our group, you will…
- Be paired with a software engineer, data scientist, or architect as a mentor.
- Translate business needs into technical problems, execute experiments, and communicate findings clearly to business partners.
- Support machine learning projects, solution development efforts, or data engineering initiatives, typically within a cloud environment (AWS).
- Utilize leading edge tools and methodologies to create prototypes, software, or cloud solutions that create business value.
- Contribute high quality software that makes an impact.
- Take primary responsibility for at least one important prototyping or engineering effort.
- Actively pursuing undergrad, M.S., or Ph.D. in computer science, mathematics, or related field.
- Experience or familiarity with database ETL solutions.
- Experience or familiarity building RESTful APIs.
- Ability to work as part of a team and to communicate effectively.
- Able to adapt quickly to changes in business needs, data availability, tools, and technologies.
Responsibilities:Specialized Knowledge and Skills Requirements
- Experience with cloud service platforms (AWS, G-Cloud)
- Experience or familiarity with Spark.
- Experience with web crawling, GIS data, unstructured text data, or image data.
- Demonstrated experience providing customer-driven solutions, support or service
- Basic analytical skills.
- Basic knowledge and experience working within a team environment.
- Basic knowledge of developing and managing project work.
- Must be in pursuit of a post-secondary degree or certificate during the semester of the internship.
- Pursuing post-secondary education in a related major to the internship.
Stay connected: Join our Talent Community!