At American Family Insurance, we're driven by our customers and employees. That's why we provide more than just a job – we provide opportunity. Whether you're already part of our team in search of a new challenge or new to our company and ready for what's next, you're in the right place. Every dream is a journey that starts with a single step. Start your journey right here. Join our team. Bring your dreams.Quick Stats:
WI Madison Natl HQ
R2485 Strategic Data & Analytics Student Internship (Open)
We are excited to offer a Strategic Data & Analytics Student Internship for the summer of 2017 (May- August), at our national headquarters in Madison, WI. The purpose of the Strategic Data & Analytics Student Internship is to develop, establish and maintain Data Analytic strategies to meet organizational objectives. Effective management of assigned related activities will also be responsibilities of the position.The student intern works under the direction of a senior level employee or manager to complete projects or tasks that support the business area goals and results. Performs tasks by adapting to new or changing situations in a team environment. Gathers information, plans and organizes work efficiently and effectively. Applies and learns technical skills appropriate to the specific job assignment.
Want to help to build a modern data infrastructure powered by big data technology and learn how to mine insurance data? American Family's Strategic, Data and Analytics division is charged with designing and implementing data pipelines and modeling pipelines for company-wide advanced analytics initiatives. These pipelines are designed to run on the Hadoop platform where our data lake is hosted. The data lake contains all internal American family insurance data and external data, such as telematics, and IoT devices. Come work with our diverse mixture of scientists, engineers, and software engineers as part of a fast moving and high efficient team.
As an intern with our group, you will…
- Be paired with a research engineer, modeler/scientist, or a business subject matter of expert on an analytical project.
- Learn how to transform siloed datasets into a connected analytical datasets to power machine learning models.
- Engineer features and discover business insights in the analytical datasets.
- Research and utilize cutting edge analytical tools and packages in the cloud.
- Take primary responsibility for at least one important proof of concept effort.
- Actively pursuing undergrad, M.S., or Ph.D. in computer science, mathematics, or related field.
- Understand the concept of Hadoop and Spark.
- Experience or familiarity with database ETL solutions.
- Ability to work as part of a team and to communicate effectively.
- Able to adapt quickly to changes in business needs, data availability, tools, and technologies.
Responsibilities:Specialized Knowledge and Skills Requirements
- Experience with any Hadoop distribution and Spark, either PySpark or SparkR.
- Experience with web crawling, GIS data, unstructured text data, or image data.
- Demonstrated experience providing customer-driven solutions, support or service
- Basic analytical skills.
- Basic knowledge and experience working within a team environment.
- Basic knowledge of developing and managing project work.
- Must be in pursuit of a post-secondary degree or certificate during the semester of the internship.
- Pursuing post-secondary education in a related major to the internship.
Stay connected: Join our Talent Community!