At American Family Insurance, we're driven by our customers and employees. That's why we provide more than just a job – we provide opportunity. Whether you're already part of our team in search of a new challenge or new to our company and ready for what's next, you're in the right place. Every dream is a journey that starts with a single step. Start your journey right here. Join our team. Bring your dreams.Quick Stats:
MO Lees Summit Legal Office
R2468 Legal Services Paralegal (Open)
Provides effective litigation support in all phases of the litigation process under the supervision of an attorney. Must have an understanding of tort, insurance and contract law as well as the rules of evidence and civil procedure, no-fault if applicable, and the rules of the road. Conducts legal research for attorneys.
•Offer to selected candidate will be made contingent on the results of applicable background checks
•Offer to selected candidate in contingent on signing a non-disclosure agreement for proprietary information, trade secrets, and inventions
•Our policy restricts consideration of applicants needing employment sponsorship (visas) to specialty occupations. Sponsorship will not be considered for this position
•Relocation assistance is available
•2 years of insurance defense experience preferred
Litigation Support (70%)
- Assists in trial preparation including 1) scheduling of discovery, depositions and independent medical examinations; 2) preparation of trial notebooks; 3) preparation of demonstrative evidence; 4) coordination of schedules with lay and expert witnesses; 5) preparation and serving of subpoenas; 6) assisting in jury selection, taking notes and maintaining files.
- Drafts pleadings, discovery documents, motions, deposition summaries, abstracts, correspondence and legal memorandums under the supervision of an attorney.
- Assists in the collection, organization, summarization and evaluation of medical records in the discovery process and for trial preparation.
- Initiates and conducts investigation and discovery under limited supervision. Communicates with and conducts interviews of insureds, company representatives and witnesses. Drafts discovery responses and prepares witnesses and demonstrative evidence for trial.
- Represents insured or the company in small claims / conciliation court for defense or subrogation matters where allowed.
- Maintains and manages confidential file materials. Reviews all documents containing scheduled dates and updates calendars. Uses case management system to create and maintain electronic files.
Arbitrations/Mediations and Settlements to the extent allowed (15%)
- Reviews files to determine issues, records needed and the possibility of settlement.
- Obtains all appropriate records, organizes file and drafts statement of case for hearing or contentions for the panel.
- Requests needed discovery and authorizations from claimant.
- Negotiates settlement within authority for no-fault arbitration files and conciliation court files.
- Negotiates and settles claims within authority as directed by the attorney.
- Reviews files sent to Legal for purposes of subrogating responsible parties for reimbursement.
- Reviews files to determine appropriateness of subrogation activity or litigation.
- Drafts appropriate pleadings for filing suit to be reviewed by attorney.
- Monitors litigation.
- Once judgment is entered, pursues appropriate means of collection. Arranges installment agreements if appropriate.
- Monitors each file through resolution.
Legal Research (5%)
Responsibilities:Specialized Knowledge and Skills Requirements
- Performs legal research using all available resources to identify the most current and applicable law.
- Organizes and presents legal research in memorandum form.
- Assists in writing legal briefs.
- Demonstrated experience providing customer-driven solutions, support or service
- Demonstrated experience performing legal research, conducting investigations, gathering and summarizing medical records, indexing depositions, gathering evidence and preparing exhibits for trial.
- Demonstrated experience preparing pleadings, motions, deposition summaries, discovery responses, and other legal correspondence.
- Demonstrated experience with various PC software applications (e.g. Microsoft Office Suites, Internet Explorer, Outlook, Acrobat, FrontPage).
- Demonstrated experience working with confidential documents and situations.
- Solid knowledge and understanding of legal ethics rules and the ability to maintain a high level of confidentiality.
- Solid knowledge and understanding of tort and contract law, legal procedures, legal terminology, and the judicial system.
- Valid driver's license required plus an acceptable driving record.
- Associate Degree from a recognized paralegal program and two (2) years of legal experience; or a four year degree from a recognized paralegal program; or, a combination of five or more years of college education and work experience in a legal office/work environment.
- This position requires the ability to work with close vision (clear vision at 20 inches or less) for extended periods of time.
- This position requires the ability to push up to 25 pounds between 33 and 66% of the time.
- This position requires the ability to push up to 50 pounds between 1 and 33% of the time.
- This position requires travel up to 10% of the time.
Stay connected: Join our Talent Community!