Underwriting Supervisor - Personal & Farm
- Career Level
- Experienced (Non-Manager)
The Personal and Farm Underwriting Supervisor directs the day to day risk selection and retention of Personal and Farm lines of business to maintain the appropriate balance of production, profit and growth. The supervisor is responsible for directing and supervising operations in conformity with corporate objectives, underwriting standards and procedures, and applicable laws and regulations, as well as staff development and training. The supervisor coordinates underwriting activities with field personnel, other departments in the Company, agents and insureds.
- Coordinate and oversee the various activities associated with the processing and underwriting of all Personal and Farm lines business and other underwriting functions. Assist staff in analyzing risk submissions and implementing decisions. Provide information and answer questions regarding acceptability of risks, classification, rating and coverages for other departments and outside contacts. As required, perform tasks associated with premium handling, lapse and reinstatement procedures, and cancellations.
- Handle complaints and questions from the agents, insureds, other departments, or insurance departments where underwriting and/or processing matters are concerned. Mediate problems between insureds, staff and agencies as required.
- Counsel, monitor performance, provide feedback, provide formal performance assessments and salary recommendations, and recommend and implement disciplinary actions for Personal and Farm underwriters and support staff.
- Plan, coordinate and/or conduct training sessions for the agency force.
- Oversee and participate in testing of products, rates and systems.
- Ensure compliance with all state or other regulatory agency’s laws, guidelines, and regulations.
- Perform budgeting and salary administration tasks.
- Participate with Marketing and Underwriting management in making recommendations on profit programs or special actions for agents.
- Occasional travel to agent’s offices and attendance at other outings to promote CIC. Participate in the planning and scheduling of the trip. Overnight travel may be required.
- Act as backup to Commercial Underwriting Supervisor, when necessary.
- Active participation in continuing education.
- Present a professional and helpful appearance.
- Meet expectations of attendance and punctuality.
- Other responsibilities and duties as assigned.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
- Skills described in job description.
- Excellent interpersonal skills. Ability to effectively communicate with underwriting team members regarding job performance.
- Ability to perform all tasks assigned to Personal and Farm underwriters and support staff. Must have an excellent technical background and understanding of the different team member’s job functions.
- Must have in-depth and thorough knowledge of personal lines policy content and coverage intent. Must be proficient in the fundamentals of personal and farm lines, including an understanding of underwriting regulations, rating, rules, manuals, company guidelines and procedures, and state laws.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- In depth knowledge of policy systems.
- Basic knowledge and understanding of commercial lines policy forms.
- Proficiency in use of computers, including skills in Word, Excel, and email system and proficient in the Company’s operating systems.
- Ability to travel, including occasional overnight stays.
- Ability to sit for extended periods of time and work at a computer terminal.
- Excellent organizational skills. Ability to prioritize work and meet service standards and deadlines.
- Ability to learn new tasks and perform them in an efficient manner.
- Maintain work performance at satisfactory or standard level.
- An attention to detail and a desire to work with people.
- Ability to comply with department and company policies and procedures.
- Ability to work independently and to carry out assignments to completion with minimum supervision.
- Bachelor’s degree (B.S./B.A.) from a four-year college or university; or
- Associate’s Degree plus 1-2 years of related work experience; or
- Equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Industry Education and Experience
- Five to Seven Years Underwriting Experience;
- Associate in General Insurance (AINS);
- Associate in Personal Insurance (API) or Agribusiness & Farm Insurance Specialist (AFIS);
- Associate in Commercial Underwriting (AU); and
- Pursuing CPCU designation; 4 or more courses completed preferred.
- Equivalent combination of industry education and experience may be substituted for the above.
Apply for Underwriting Supervisor - Personal & Farm
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly