Senior Insurance Accountant
- Career Level
- Experienced (Non-Manager)
Job Title: Senior Insurance Accountant
Location: Ft. Worth, TX
Reports To: Controller
FLSA Status: Exempt
This position will complete and/or participate in accounting functions necessary for monthly financial reporting, statutory filings and investments. Such functions include but are not limited to investments, general ledger entries, and the associated investment transactions, reconciliation, and analysis.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Download and extract data from Investment managers and other operating systems to prepare and record recurring journal entries for investments.
- Analyze investments and summarize monthly results.
- Prepare Schedule D, DA and any associated schedules for Statutory filings
- Assist with Investment Notes for the Statutory Statement
- Maintain Fixed Assets and associated Depreciation schedules
- Prepare and file Premium Tax returns and make tax deposits as required.
- Calculate Premium Tax accruals on a monthly basis.
- Ensure that Statutory Accounting Principles are followed.
- Assist outside auditors by completing schedules, analysis, etc. as requested.
- Generate financial reports covering various key financial and performance metrics.
- Suggest improvements in financial analysis and reporting models.
- Support the financial close by exporting data from all systems required for input to Freedom G/L.
- Proactively suggest reports, graphs and other items to improve the quality of management information.
- Complete such other accounting and financial functions and duties as required.
NOTE: This job description does not imply that the above functions are the only tasks that may be performed. You will be expected to follow any other job-related instructions and perform any other job-related tasks as directed by management.
QUALIFICATIONS to perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Ability to communicate with all levels of management
- Excellent organization skills and attention to detail
- Self-motivated, with strong problem solving skills and ability to work independently
- Demonstrated ability to effectively prioritize projects and meet multiple deadlines
- Ability to work under pressure
- Ability to maintain confidentiality of data and information
- Ability to use advanced functions in Excel and other Microsoft products
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to organize and complete multiple tasks and meet deadlines.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
Bachelor’s degree in accounting required. A minimum of four (4) years of accounting experience, preferably in a small to medium insurance company environment. Moderate technical experience required with data analysis in Excel (moderate experience), data manipulation and financial analysis tools. Preference will also be given to any candidate with MS Access experience.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.