At American Family Insurance, we're driven by our customers and employees. That's why we provide more than just a job – we provide opportunity. Whether you're already part of our team in search of a new challenge or new to our company and ready for what's next, you're in the right place. Every dream is a journey that starts with a single step. Start your journey right here. Join our team. Bring your dreams.Quick Stats:
WI Madison Natl HQ
R1604 Strat Tech Proj Mgt Specialist (Open)
The Strategic Technology Project Management Specialist successfully delivers technical solutions to support the organization`s vision and strategic direction. Manages and leads very large, high risk, high visibility, critical I/S technology projects for multiple business divisions. These projects are often highly complex and impact many users. Deliver the project on time, within budget, and in accordance with pre-defined specifications following corporate and I/S standards. Ensures effective integration and communication between multiple projects, and quality project deliverables.
• Applications will be accepted for this position through midnight on October 21st 2016
• Offer to selected candidate will be made contingent on the results of applicable background checks
• Offer to selected candidate in contingent on signing a non-disclosure agreement for proprietary information, trade secrets, and inventions
• Our policy restricts consideration of applicants needing employment sponsorship (visas) to specialty occupations. Sponsorship will not be considered for this position
• Relocation assistance is available
Project Management (60%)
- Leverages available project management software tools and divisional resources to help plan and manage the project.
- Manages Project Scope and Project Integration to ensure that the various elements of the project are properly coordinated and to create a quality product by including all of the work required, only the work required, and by controlling scope changes (including initiation, scope planning and definition, and scope verification and change control). Collaborates with prime and sub-contracted project leads to develop an integrated overall project plan, works closely with them to execute the project plan, to manage overall change control, and to document lessons learned. Ensures effective integration and communication between multiple prime projects. Develops and maintains overall project plan elements.
- Manages Project Time and Cost to ensure timely completion of projects within acceptable budget tolerances. Works with domain manager to administer project budget. Identifies change control procedures and defines appropriate performance measures. Integrates cost changes within the overall change control system, evaluates cost performance and estimate at completion. This includes activity definition and sequencing, activity duration estimating, schedule development and control, resources planning, cost estimating and budgeting, and cost control.
- Manages Project Quality. Ensures that the product meets functional and technical requirements and satisfies client's needs. This includes high quality planning, quality assurance, and quality control. Proactively looks for defects by monitoring specific project results and project processes. Implements quality improvements using project change control processes, and makes process adjustments to ensure quality improvement efforts.
- Manages Project Communications. This includes communications planning, information distribution, performance reporting, and administrative closure. Ensures quality project information distribution. Conducts project performance reporting and project administrative closeout.
- Manages Project Risk. Ensures appropriate risk identification and control. This includes risk identification, risk quantification, risk response development, and risk response control. Develops and manages risk management plans, contingency plans, and a risk reduction action plan. Initiates risk contingency plans and risk reduction action plans as appropriate.
Collaborative and Team-Based Environment (25%)
- Initiates and drives improvements to the Division and Corporate project delivery methods and project management best practices
- Follows and promotes divisional and corporate project management standards and guidelines. Recommends improvements to the Division's project delivery methods, tools, standards, guidelines, and curriculum. Proactively shares project delivery best practices and lessons learned with other project managers. Promotes project management to the Division.
- As a project manager, works collaboratively with peers of interdependent projects to facilitate cross project resource requirements, synchronize shared technical environments, coordinate production of deliverables, and co-manage inter-project risks, issues, and changes.
- Motivates team members, communicates expectations, and holds team accountable for meeting project expectations. Promotes an environment that encourages innovation and risk taking.
- Works with and holds supplier project leaders accountable for their sections of the overall work plan, including members from other divisions of American Family, vendors, and consultants.
- Works closely with their delivery manager to agree on mutual accountabilities and establish project budget. Takes accountability for the project's deliverables; and manages overall work plan.
- Demonstrates superior collaboration skills, and techniques which appropriately define alternative solutions: resolve conflicts, and create lasting, productive partnerships with clients. Proactively manages the customer's expectations, being focused on enabling the customer to be successful.
- Works with others within I/S and with external stakeholders to ensure optimal service to clients. Shares information and knowledge with others on team to better resolve project-oriented problems and build client knowledge.
- Is considered a resource for other project managers. Mentors less experienced project managers on the project management discipline.
- Understands American Family's business mission, vision, values and project objectives, corporate culture and structure to support work initiatives.
Project Resource / Procurement Management (15%)
- Manages and optimizes project resources. This includes organizational project planning, staff acquisition, and team development. Employs quality leadership to achieve quality teamwork. Develops role and responsibility assignments, a staffing management plan that aligns individual and group competencies with project tasks, programs that enhance team performance, and time reporting requirements. Assures that timely and accurate time reporting data is available for regular status and performance metrics reporting.
- Manages Project's Procurement of products or services. Ensures quality service or product acquisition. Collaborates with the delivery manager as needed during procurement planning, solicitation planning, solicitation, source selection, contract administration, and contract closeout. Integrates contract administration within the broader context of the project plan, quality control processes, and the overall project performance reporting systems.
Specialized Knowledge and Skills Requirements
- Demonstrated experience providing customer-driven solutions, support or service
- Demonstrated experience leading technology projects using project management processes, tools, methodologies, practices and techniques.
- Demonstrated extensive experience successfully leading large, complex technology projects. (minimum of 25,000 hour projects)
- Demonstrated solid experience with customer relationship management and project integration.
- Demonstrated solid experience communicating technical concepts clearly and concisely both orally and in writing.
- Solid knowledge and understanding of technology risks and mitigation techniques for multiple major information technology platforms.
- Solid knowledge and understanding of technical problem solving techniques and methodologies.
Stay connected: Join our Talent Community!