At American Family Insurance, we're driven by our customers and employees. That's why we provide more than just a job – we provide opportunity. Whether you're already part of our team in search of a new challenge or new to our company and ready for what's next, you're in the right place. Every dream is a journey that starts with a single step. Start your journey right here. Join our team. Bring your dreams.Quick Stats:
MN Eden Prairie Office
R2449 Casualty Claim Manager (Open)
The Casualty Claim Manager provides leadership and management direction to achieve efficient casualty claim handling and quality customer service for casualty claims. This first line management position is responsible for developing the skills of individuals and motivating them to perform at their maximum ability. Facilitates continuous development of people, processes, and culture to ensure customer service industry leadership.
Applications will be accepted for this position through midnight on (10/24/2016)
Offer to selected candidate will be made contingent on the results of applicable background checks
Offer to selected candidate in contingent on signing a non-disclosure agreement for proprietary information, trade secrets, and inventions
Our policy restricts consideration of applicants needing employment sponsorship (visas) to specialty occupations. Sponsorship will not be considered for this position
Relocation assistance is available
Claim File Management and Quality Control (25%)
- Reviews claims and provides direction for handling investigation, coverage issues, subrogation, contribution, settlement value, and other procedures. Composes written correspondence including reservation of rights and excess letters and directs use of non-waivers.
- Prepares and presents files to committee for direction and authority on settlement value, coverage issues, potential fraud, liability, no fault, reserves, and other issues.
- Participates on various company committees and handles special projects as requested.
- Foresees issues which may require intervention. Develops and shares innovative solutions for dealing with problems, situations, and conflicts. Exhibits negotiation skills necessary to resolve claims on all policies.
- Conducts claim file reviews for compliance with corporate claim standards, state and local regulations, and good business practices. Analyzes audit results, develops plan of action, and reviews with unit employees.
- Establishes and maintains factor and specific reserves within authority. Evaluates claim value and grants settlement authority as appropriate.
- May handle claim files that are severe, complex, or sensitive in nature, including those of employees and agents. May supervise files involving legal activities.
- Evaluates factual information and the legal environment to determine coverage, liability, and settlement value. Establishes and maintains appropriate reserves within settlement authority, requesting additional authority as needed.
Management/Leadership for Department or Unit (25%)
- Manages direct reports, systems, and projects to achieve department/unit goals in accordance with Company policies and practices.
- Prepares and analyzes department/unit plans and reports.
- Provides leadership by exhibiting influence and expertise, thus affecting the results of the operating area.
- Creates an effective work environment by developing a common vision, setting clear objectives, expecting teamwork, recognizing outstanding performance, and maintaining open communications.
- Develops staff through coaching, providing performance feedback, providing effective performance assessments, and establishing performance & development plans.
Management of Claims Operations (20%)
- Manages the claim operation in the absence of the branch casualty claim manager, as directed.
- Responds to inquiries and handles complaints from individuals or their representatives, insurance departments, Consumer Affairs, and other agencies.
- Manages the use of the integrated claim system, personal computer, and applicable software for casualty adjusters.
- Maintains resource materials, including legal and medical references, and technical information.
- Attends and participates in pretrial conferences, alternate dispute resolutions, small claims/conciliation court, and other official proceedings as needed.
- Assists management in budget preparation, staffing, future needs, and expense control.
Business Partner Relationships (20%)
- Establishes rapport with business partners (agency, personal lines, legal, medical services, etc.) and builds ongoing relationships by including stakeholders in the claim handling process as appropriate.
- Partners with others to provide seamless customer service.
- Facilitates communication between customers, agents, vendors, third party administrators and other employees. Provides agents with important claim related information; provides all parties with claim process and status as appropriate; answers questions or redirects to other areas.
- Explains and discusses any circumstances that may affect customer service with agency, vendors, third party administrators or other claim personnel. Includes others in problem resolution as appropriate.
Strategies Linked to the Division's Business Goals/Results (10%)
- Establishes, communicates, and implements departmental plans, objectives, and strategies.
- Participates as a member of the Management Team.
- Maintains an active awareness of American Family's business environments, corporate culture, and structure to support key decision-making.
Specialized Knowledge and Skills Requirements
- Must be willing to travel for Catastrophe duty if necessary.
- This position requires travel up to 10% of the time.
- Demonstrated experience providing customer-driven solutions, support or service
- Demonstrated experience handling complex casualty claims.
- Solid knowledge and understanding of each phase of the claim handling processes.
- Solid knowledge and understanding of casualty policy language, coverages and underwriting intent.
Stay connected: Join our Talent Community!