At American Family Insurance, we're driven by our customers and employees. That's why we provide more than just a job – we provide opportunity. Whether you're already part of our team in search of a new challenge or new to our company and ready for what's next, you're in the right place. Every dream is a journey that starts with a single step. Start your journey right here. Join our team. Bring your dreams.Quick Stats:
IL Chicago Office, WI Madison-Fairchild Ste 402
R2217 Data Science Student Internship (Open)
Offer to selected candidate will be made contingent on the results of applicable background checks.
Offer to selected candidate in contingent on signing a non-disclosure agreement for proprietary information, trade secrets, and inventions.
We are excited to offer Data Scientist Internships in our Data Science and Analytics Lab (DSAL) for the summer of 2017 (May-August), in our Chicago, IL office. The purpose of the DSAL Internships are to develop, establish and maintain DSAL strategies to meet organizational objectives. Effective management of assigned related activities will also be responsibilities of the position.The student intern works under the direction of a senior level employee or manager to complete projects or tasks that support the business area goals and results. Performs tasks by adapting to new or changing situations in a team environment. Gathers information, plans and organizes work efficiently and effectively. Applies and learns technical skills appropriate to the specific job assignment.
Want to help to transform an industry and have fun while you're at it? American Family's Data Science and Analytics Lab (DSAL) is charged with using advanced analytical techniques – including machine learning, natural language processing, statistics, and geospatial analysis – combined with new and existing sources of data to help create the future of insurance. We are using data-driven insights to envision new products, services, and means of engaging customers, as well as to design fundamentally new businesses and business models for insurance and beyond. Our focus is on incorporating the explosion of new data sources becoming available from mobile, social media, and the Internet-of-Things to transform how we serve and engage with our customers. Come work with our diverse mixture of computer scientists, data engineers, and software engineers as part of a small and agile team.
Do you have broad computer science knowledge and experience in machine learning, statistics, or data manipulation and management? Do you pride yourself on your software development skills? Do you keep up with the latest cloud technologies? Does digging into data with a purpose sound like a great day to you? Then we want you! Join us this summer. We have teams in downtown Chicago and in Madison, Wisconsin that could host you for the summer while you build your data science skills and experience.
As an intern with our group, you will…
- Be paired with a data scientist, engineer, or architect as a mentor.
- Translate business needs into technical problems, execute experiments, and communicate findings clearly to business partners.
- Support machine learning projects using classification models, natural language processing, time-series models, recommendation systems, or other methods.
- Work with large volumes of structured, semi-structured, and unstructured data across a wide variety of data sources.
- Utilize leading edge tools and methodologies to develop insights that result in business value;
- Contribute high quality software that makes an impact.
- Take primary responsibility for at least one important modeling or development effort.
- Actively pursuing undergrad, M.S., or Ph.D. in computer science, mathematics, statistics, or related field.
- Advanced skills in languages such as Python, Java, C++, Lua, Julia, or Scala.
- Ability to work as part of a team and to communicate effectively.
- Able to adapt quickly to changes in business needs, data availability, tools, and technologies.
- Expertise in machine learning or advanced statistical techniques.
- Experience with open source packages for modeling (e.g., Torch, Tensorflow, scikit-learn, xgboost), visualization (e.g., matplotlib, ggplot, vega, d3.js) or data processing (e.g., Spark, Stanford CoreNLP, gensim).
- Relational database and SQL skills.
- Experience with cloud infrastructures.
Supports Division's Business Goals/Results (100%)
Responsibilities:Specialized Knowledge and Skills Requirements
- Begins to develop an understanding of American Family's business environments, corporate culture and structure to support work initiatives.
- Maintains work efficiency and responds positively to a changing environment.
- Is open to and supports new ideas, systems and procedures. Generates creative ideas and actions in response to changing situations.
- Promptly adjusts strategies or tactics in situations where the current approaches are ineffective.
- Demonstrated experience providing customer-driven solutions, support or service
- Basic analytical skills.
- Basic knowledge and experience working within a team environment.
- Basic knowledge of developing and managing project work.
- Must be in pursuit of a post-secondary degree or certificate during the semester of the internship.
- Pursuing post-secondary education in a related major to the internship.
Stay connected: Join our Talent Community!