At American Family Insurance, we're driven by our customers and employees. That's why we provide more than just a job – we provide opportunity. Whether you're already part of our team in search of a new challenge or new to our company and ready for what's next, you're in the right place. Every dream is a journey that starts with a single step. Start your journey right here. Join our team. Bring your dreams.Quick Stats:
IL Chicago Office
R2289 Commercial Farm/Ranch Claim Field Adjuster (Open)
The CF/R Claim Field Adjuster position supports the Claim Division goal of ensuring customer service industry leadership and partners with agency to deliver seamless claim service. An experienced adjuster who can work on moderately complex multi-line CF/R field claims involving both 1st and third party coverages that require on-site inspection. This would incorporate multiple policies types and endorsements and this would include property, bodily injury, general liability, construction defect, Errors and Omissions and Directors and Officers claims. Performs with a high degree of competency and continues to develop a mastery of skills and insurance knowledge required of an experienced CF/R claim adjuster. Facilitates continuous development of people, processes and culture to ensure customer service industry leadership.
This is a work from home position, and relocation assistance is available.
Territory includes Northern Illinois and Chicago metro. Ideal location for those in Racine and Kenosha counties of WI or DeKalb, Kane, Dupage, Cook, Lake and McHenry counties in IL.
- Investigates origin and cause of claims by contacting the appropriate parties including insureds, claimants, agents, attorneys, contractors, experts, special investigation unit, other adjusters, public personnel, etc. Checks for prior claims and recognizes environmental exposures.
- Identifies complex issues and seeks assistance as needed.
- Recognizes pertinent issues and formats questions to obtain recorded or written statements to properly resolve the assigned claims. Handles claims on a good faith basis.
- Recognizes when to secure public documents to complete a claim file investigation. Secures, preserves and maintains evidence in a legally compliant manner.
- Recognizes and investigates losses involving subrogation and salvage potential. Uses knowledge of third party and tort liability. Completes early notification to the subrogation department on claims with large subrogation potential.
- Identifies fraud files and seeks assistance as needed. Partners with and maintains a working relationship with legal and special investigation unit.
- Handles both commercial and farm ranch 1st party and 3rd party claims under multiple policies types and numerous endorsements. These would include property, bodily injury, general liability, construction defect, Errors and Omissions, and Directors and Officers claims.
Estimating Loss & Damages (20%)
- Gathers information via on-site inspections, and researches via phone and internet to determine replacement costs for both structure and contents. Complete building inspections meeting OSHA guidelines.
- Determines when to repair or replace structural and personal property loss items dependent on careful review of factors involved.
- Prepares accurate estimates by utilizing electronic estimating tools and systems, replacement research results and contractor data to establish fair and competitive pricing within Fair Claims Acts.
- Sets reserves and recommends settlement values when loss exceeds authority.
- Completes factual reports in a timely manner with company corporate standards and state regulations.
- Maintains and controls additional living expense exposure on farm/ranch claims.
- Calculates Business Income and Extra Expense exposures.
- Investigates and determines negligence and ACV damages as well as possible contribution while settling 3rd party construction defect, property damage, and bodily injury claims.
File Management (15%)
- Actively manages individual claim inventory and works toward meeting cycle-time goals for closing files. Claim inventory will focus on mild to moderately complex claims that require on-site inspection and, face-to-face contact with customers. Maintains a mobile office for settling claims
- Utilizes the electronic integrated claim system to complete and document actions throughout the life of the file.
- Conducts initial review of claims received to identify prior actions taken (e.g. services provided by the Customer Care Center and appointments scheduled) and determine next steps.
- Contributes to the team environment by assisting with claims from other adjusters` inventories in the adjustors` absence. Responds to customer inquiries, makes appropriate decisions and closes file as needed.
- Assists with claims from CFR desk adjusters when on-site inspections are required.
- Makes independent decisions and self-supervises most files but recognizes when assistance is needed.
- Supervises independent adjusters under the direction of CFR manager.
Negotiation and Settlement (15%)
- Handles claim negotiations with insureds, claimants, attorneys, public adjusters by settling and providing the best customer experience in the industry.
- Provides a clear explanation of the estimate to the customer, answers all questions and processes the claim payment
- Recognizes the need for and obtains non-waiver as needed. Recognizes the need for and sends Reservation of Rights letters.
- Recognizes, controls and resolves disputes with tact and diplomacy. Notifies or directly involves the agent in the dispute resolution. Utilizes arbitration, appraisal and alternate dispute resolution as needed. Recognizes when assistance is needed and obtains it.
Policy Determination & Analysis (10%)
- Interprets and determines policies, leases, by-laws, declarations, articles and contract coverages and applies to all parties for assigned losses. Interprets claim history coverages. Selects proper loss codes based on policy type
- Utilizes company Claim Bulletins, manuals and best practices. Demonstrates knowledge of underwriting guidelines, inspects risks and makes recommendations to the Underwriting Department as needed.
- Applies decision making process to available data to determine extent of coverage or non-coverage and communicates results to appropriate parties.
- Ability to compose and explain coverage denials to customers and agent partners in both an oral and written fashion.
- Participates in High Damage Reviews (HDR) to determine coverage and exposures.
Agency/Business Partner Relationships (10%)
- Establishes rapport with agents, underwriting, underwriting services, loss control, products and sales support.
- Partners with agency to provide seamless customer service. Jointly identifies opportunities for process improvements and establishes and implements action plans to address them.
- Explains and discusses any circumstances that may affect customer service with agency, vendors, third part administrators or other claim personnel. Includes agents in problem resolution as appropriate.
- Provides agents with claim handling information via phone conversations, office visits or presentations at district meetings.
- Facilitates communication between customers, agents, vendors, third party administrators and other employees. Proactively provides agents with important claim related information; provides all parties with claim process and status as appropriate; answers questions or redirects to other areas.
Additional Assignments (10%)
- Assists in conducting effective training for Claims personnel, agents and others as required
- Participates in claim committee meetings and claim-related or system related projects as needed.
- Performs disaster claim duty as necessary.
- Be available as the On-Call adjuster to contact insureds and initiate claim handling for large losses that are reported during evening and weekend hours.
- Assists large loss unit with warm welcomes on new claims, and re-inspections as needed for existing ones.
- Attends legal proceedings as needed as a witness or a company representative.
Specialized Knowledge and Skills Requirements
- Demonstrates the ability to handle 1st and 3rd party, multi-line claims across our operating territories.
- Demonstrated experience providing customer-driven solutions, support or service
- Demonstrated ability to efficiently and effectively handle simple to moderately complex Commercial Farm/Ranch claims.
- Demonstrated fundamental understanding of policies and endorsements related to casualty coverages.
- Successfully applied knowledge of each phase of the casualty claim handling process.
- Valid driver's license required plus an acceptable driving record.
- Must be willing to travel for Catastrophe duty if necessary.
- This position requires travel up to 50% of the time.
- This position requires the ability to work in high, precarious places between 1 and 33% of the time (applies to field position only).
- This position requires the ability to work with exposure to outside weather conditions between 66 and 100% of the time (applies to field position only).
- This position requires the ability to climb or balance between 1 and 33% of the time (applies to field position only).
- This position requires the ability to work with distance vision (clear vision at 20 feet or more) for extended periods of time (applies to field position only).
- This position requires the ability to stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl between 1 and 33% of the time (applies to field position only).
- This position requires the ability to lift up to 50 pounds between 1 and 33% of the time (applies to field position only).
Stay connected: Join our Talent Community!