Westfield is a great place to work and grow in your career. Our success depends upon the people we employ…individuals who embrace a winning vision of sharing knowledge, building trust and providing support for the team
Westfield provides a broad portfolio of insurance and financial services backed by knowledgeable employees and a network of more than 1,000 professional independent insurance agencies. Westfield operates in 21 states for property and casualty insurance and 31 states for surety. Westfield is one of the nation’s Top 50 Property & Casualty insurance companies, one of the top writers of farm insurance in the country, and the largest writer of contract performance bonds in Ohio.
BUILD YOUR FUTURE, WHILE PROTECTING THEIRS.
You will be challenged. Rewarded. And valued for your unique experience, background and perspective.
Join a team where hard work pays off and original thinking is celebrated. As you build your future at Westfield Insurance, you will quickly learn that protecting our customer’s future by delivering on our promise to help restore lives and rebuild businesses when the unexpected happens is at the heart of what we do. Building relationships and caring about people has been part of our culture since 1848. Be a part of a team that recognizes and appreciates those who take initiative, know how to elevate an idea and can innovate and seek opportunity in a changing world.
Westfield Center, OH
Salary Range: $46,681 - $53,683 - $60,686
Description: The individual acts as a key member of the production team including responsibility for the management and servicing of a profitable renewal book of business. Makes underwriting decisions within assigned authority limits. Actively participates in renewal collaboration discussions, acts as an Account Steward for the customer and as a key point of contact for the agency, maintaining and implementing appropriate service strategies to deliver our customer service commitment to the customer. As needed, may support the field manager in renewal reviews and new business set up. Underwriting authority will be assigned based on a combination of experience, performance and business needs of assigned unit.
Essential Functions (not an all inclusive list):
* Manages a book of business for assigned agencies and is responsible for overall profit and growth of the book. Utilizes all present and future underwriting tools and resources.
* Reviews and underwrites primarily renewal business (large and/or complex Commercial Lines accounts with package premium of $25,000 and above). Evaluates exposures to loss, determines pricing, and determines acceptability of risk in accordance with company guidelines and the limits of authority established for them. Documents details of underwriting decisions, while maintaining all supporting information, records, and data in accordance with audit standards.
* Orders and analyzes investigative reports (MVR’s, loss control reports and surveys, financials, D&B’s, Predictive Underwriting, etc.) on present or potential customers. Reviews and takes action on business income worksheets, estimates of value, statements of value, and other key underwriting information.
* Supports field manager in the assessment and set up of new business quotes.
* Delivers quotes, terms and conditions, and Premium Value Statement (including information surfaced at the monthly renewal meeting) to the agent. Have ongoing negotiations with the agent until the renewal order is received and then sends the renewal to be processed. Whenever possible, for key customers, delivers the renewal to the policyholder along with the agent.
* Reviews results of Commercial Underwriting Office audits, makes needed file/process adjustments, and applies lessons-learned moving forward.
* Develops, maintains and builds upon strong relationships with key producers, agency personnel, and external/internal customers and team members. Participates in agency meetings, monthly renewal meetings, meetings with insureds, and visits to the insured’s location.
* May support Field Manager on renewals by ordering and analyzing reports, gathering information, and providing a checklist of what the underwriter needs to address at renewal. Coordinates renewal file information with the appropriate renewal underwriters and examiners when it is sent to them from an agency.
* Keeps current on state/territory issues and regulations, industry activity and trends, internal processes and procedures, and shares this information with team members. Relied upon to provide training and support to new underwriting assistants that are hired. Shares company best practices and procedures with new team members.
* Cooperates and collaborates with others in the unit and company in executing business strategies and plans.
* Maintains an operating knowledge of Westfield Group standardized hardware, software programs, third-party software (MS Office), and processing procedures.
* Will travel occasionally in order to foster relationships with agencies/customers, participate in meetings, special assignments, training, and/or travel between office locations.
* 7 or more years of experience in the property and casualty industry or completion of Graduate Development Program
* Possesses a CPCU, CIC, AFIS or AU designation OR in the process of attaining one of these designations.
* Proven ability to use experience and independent judgment to complete file documentation including pricing rationale.
* Proven ability to use experience and independent judgment to adjust new business quotes, new policy issuance, and renewal policy issuance/endorsement to reflect agency personnel new/renewal change requests based on their assigned underwriting authority.
* Effectively demonstrates negotiation and sales management skills.
* Proven ability to perform strong customer service, organizational, and analytical skills.
* Excellent verbal and written communication skills resulting in the ability to effectively interact with all levels of management and employee population.
* Proven ability to utilize experience to mentor and train team members.
* High School diploma, GED, or commensurate experience.
* Valid driver’s license and a driving record that conforms to company standards.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
* Ability to work effectively in an office environment for 40+ hours per week (including sitting, standing and working on a computer for extended periods of time).
* Ability to communicate effectively in a collaborative work environment utilizing various technologies such as: telephone, computer, web, voice, teleconferencing, e-mail, etc.
* Ability to travel as required.
* Ability to operate an automobile within the parameters of the driving policy.
Westfield offers a Total Rewards program that focuses on compensation, benefits and wellness, and includes perks like 401(k), pension plan, annual incentive, education reimbursement, flex-time, onsite fitness center and casual dress. Work-life balance, recognition, and learning and career development are all part of a rewarding career with Westfield Insurance.
To learn more about Westfield and the opportunities available, please visit us at www.westfieldinsurance.com
We are an equal opportunity employer/minority/female/disability/protected veteran.