- Career Level
- Not Specified
At American National we put our core values of financial strength, integrity, respect, service and teamwork at the heart of everything we do. If you share these values and would like to grow your career at a strong, respected company, here's an opportunity for you.
The Modeling Technician position is an entry-level position for individuals with backgrounds in mathematics, statistics, or similar technical disciplines. Functions will focus on complex data retrieval and manipulation, processing data through sophisticated models, reporting results of analyses, and recommending decisions based on these analyses.
- The incumbent retrieves, scrubs, and manipulates data for use in various models.
- The incumbent works with other departments as required to understand data structures, determine data definitions, and evaluate the accuracy of data elements and metrics.
- The incumbent learns, understands, and processes date through models.
- The incumbent know as much as possible about the purpose, function, application, inner-workings, assumptions, limitations, and uses of the models in order to maximize model usefulness and efficiency while minimizing model misuse and misinterpretation.
- The incumbent should be able to advise others on all aspects of the models they use.
- The incumbent should have a complete understanding of the derivation, application, and motivation behind all model adjustments.
- The incumbent develops and completes databases, spreadsheets, and reports of model inputs and outputs for use throughout the enterprise, providing guidance to others as needed, using the tools, standards, and platforms in use at the time.
- The incumbent uses actuarial and business judgement to recommend and implement decisions based on the models.
- The incumbent must progress in the Casualty Actuarial Society exams in accordance with the terms of the Actuarial Career Path.
- The incumbent reviews state regulatory requirements to determine the appropriateness of various modeling decisions as they pertain to data calls, rate filings, interrogatories, or other DOI requests.
- A bachelor's degree in mathematics, statistics, economics, or a related field, or the equivalent, is preferred.
- Advanced spreadsheet skills and database knowledge required.
- Must be able to work independently.
- Must be able to work as a member of a team.
- Strong communication skills are required.
- Must have an aptitude for data manipulation and programing.
- Sound judgement is required as more responsibility is placed on the incumbent to determine the best course of action.
American National was started in 1905 in Galveston, TX, and also has offices in League City, TX, Springfield, MO, and Albany, NY. We offer life, accident and health insurance; property/casualty insurance for personal lines, agribusiness and targeted commercial businesses; and retirement, annuities and pension plan products.
We're committed to our employees and clients alike. If you want a long, rewarding career, if you want a chance to be a part of something big and if you want to make a difference in people's lives, then we want to hear from you.