- Career Level
- Not Specified
This Data Scientist will be a core member of the Data Analytics team and will play a significant role in helping Assurant advance and create data driven solutions. In this role, the Data Scientist incorporates techniques across many disciplines – including mathematics/statistics, computer programming, data engineering, data management, visualization and ETL. The incumbent will support analytics product development and high performance computing with traditional business expertise with the goal of using data to optimize future business decisions. Also, the incumbent will act as an evangelist for data science and be an expert/fluent in several of these data science disciplines; sufficiently proficient in others to effectively design, build, and deliver end-to-end predictive analytics products to optimize business decisions; will enjoy working with some of the most diverse global data sets, cutting edge technology, and the ability to see data insights turned into real business results on a regular basis. This role requires to partner with leaders in various divisions, clients and geographies, in order to ensure that increasingly more data driven solutions are brought to the Data Analytics group. This individual will support a variety of product and service across all line of businesses within Assurant Solutions and will utilize in-depth understanding of data, database management systems, statistics, predictive modeling, and machine learning.
Basic Qualifications Required - Experience, Skills, and Knowledge
- Master Degree in a quantitative field, such as Data Analytics, Statistics, Mathematics, Computer Science, Finance.
- 3+ years of relevant experience in analytics, statistical/quantitative modeling and/or machine Learning tools (R, Python, etc) and in using various database tools (e.g. Hadoop, SQL) processing large volumes of structured and unstructured data.
- Experience in managing and manipulating large, complex datasets and techniques to build models that have driven company decision making.
- Experience in working with any or all of statistical/data processing software such as R, SAS, Weka, SPSS, MatLab, CART etc.
- Experience in database such as SQL, Hadoop, NoSQL, and Massively Parallel Processing (MPP) databases.
- Proficient and ability to code and develop prototypes in programming languages in Python, Java, Perl, JEE, .Net, C#, or C++.
- Ability to work with unstructured data, whether it is from digital, social media, video feeds or audio, and device logs, etc.
- Advocate machine learning principles to become a SME within the organization.
- Organized and capable of independently managing complex analytical projects from start to finish.
- Ability to independently structure analyses data; interpret moderate to complex analytical concepts/models and communicate the findings to a non-technical audience.
- Ability to provide written and oral interpretation of highly specialized terms and data, and ability to present this data to others with different levels of expertise.
- Demonstrated analytic agility.
- Understanding of the Insurance industry/market place and regulation preferred
Preferred Experience, Skills, and Knowledge
- Experience with Excel VBA/macros, Tableau, and/or Microsoft Power BI a plus
- Ability to effectively communicate with both business and technical teams
- Ability to coordinate with external providers and vendors regarding data and technology solutions
- Self-reliant, able to work independently and manage personal time on multiple projects simultaneously.
- Solid communicator, particularly with less technical project stakeholders and customers, as well as with architects from various disciplines.
- Persuasive, can make an effective case to the project core team justifying the use of a specific solution/model or technology.
- Confident in skills and expertise, willing to take measured risks and defend positions
- Professional team player and ability to adapt dynamic work environment with a high degree of change