At Progressive, our diverse group of more than 26,000 talented professionals come from all walks of life and all fields of business— spanning six large corporate offices and hundreds of smaller claims and legal offices around the country.
Whether it's the pride of working for a successful, Fortune 200 Company or the enjoyment of experiencing a unique work environment every single day—you'll soon find out there are a lot of perks to working here.
Progressive is a place where innovation and collaboration are a way of life, where hard work is celebrated and rewarded, where you can see what you're truly made of … and love what you do.
The Personal Lines Acquisition team is looking for a dynamic Data Scientist. We have an exciting opportunity to be a key contributor in applying data science concepts to consumer-facing applications in ways that drive business benefit and help us deliver new innovative customer experiences. The ideal candidate will not only have a strong academic background in the concepts described herein but a passion for turning those mathematical techniques into actionable insights and genuine business growth consistent with company strategy. Prior experience in balancing complex data science techniques with production environment realities is particularly beneficial.
In some cases, you'll use languages like R or Python to employ techniques and algorithms like tree ensembles, neural nets, natural language processing and clustering to solve questions that we've had for years. In other cases, you'll try to answer questions that we really haven't asked before. The problems you'll have to solve are wide-ranging and will require a lot of different techniques, including some you'll probably have to research, learn or create. Final products could range from design of predictive models to more sophisticated visualizations and decision-support tools delivered through user facing applications you develop.
* Bachelor's degree with quantitative focus in Econometrics, Statistics, Operations Research, Computer Science or related field (e.g. Mathematics) and a minimum of 2 years of relevant experience in Statistical/Quantitative Modeling and/or Machine Learning tools (R, Python, etc) and in using various database tools (e.g. Hadoop, SQL) processing large volumes of structured and unstructured data.
* In lieu of a degree, a minimum of 4-6 years of relevant experience in Statistical/Quantitative Modeling and/or Machine Learning tools and in using various database tools processing large volumes of structured and unstructured data
* A minimum of 2-4 years experience with mathematical model creation and/or evaluation, hypothesis testing and experimental design.
* Demonstrated skills in data mining, machine learning, programming, dynamic optimization
* Experience in thought leadership in applying data driven models that had a tangible impact on business
* Ability to query databases and apply advanced data manipulation techniques across multiple sources
* Passion for empirical research and answering hard questions with data
* Strong communication skills, both verbal and written
* Ability to understand and articulate the “big picture” and simplify complex ideas
* Solid project management skills and ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously while meeting tight and potentially changing deadlines in a high-paced and dynamic environment
* Strong problem solving and structuring skills; ability to mine large datasets and surface actionable insights.
* Ability to identify and learn applicable new techniques independently as needed
* Experience with tools like Hadoop, Python and Tableau are a plus
* Comfortable developing ad hoc queries, building conceptual models, and working with large data sets in order to answer business questions is highly preferred
* Experience with machine learning algorithms including but not limited to gradient boosted trees, random forest, neural nets and ensemble methods is highly preferred
Benefits & Perks:
As the fourth largest auto insurance company, Progressive offers the confidence and stability that comes with working for a growing, always evolving organization. As an employee, you will enjoy an inclusive environment that embraces strategic thinking, drive and passion. You'll also benefit from:
• Annual gainshare bonus of up to 30% of your salary! Progressive rewards each of us with an annual bonus based on company performance
• Paid training, tuition assistance and career development
• Diverse, welcoming culture with Employee Resource Groups
• Casual dress (yes, you can wear jeans to work!)
• Wellness program with discounts & rewards, and onsite gym at our large locations
• Onsite healthcare at large locations and the standard benefits (medical, dental, vision, 401k)
• Relocation assistance to Northeast Ohio available; learn more about all Cleveland has to offer. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56p2ENKC1Bw
Progressive is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Progressive generally does not sponsor foreign national candidates for work authorization except for positions that in Progressive's determination require highly specialized knowledge and for which candidate sponsorship is appropriate. Sponsorship is available for this position
Job: Business Analysis Primary Location: United States-Ohio-Mayfield Village Schedule: Full-time Employee Status: Regular