Data Analytics Engineer - Infrastructure Expert
- Career Level
- Not Specified
Build your career. It's all right here.
We are a company of individuals with hopes, plans and passions, all using and developing our talents for good, at work and in life. Employees can be a force for good only when they are working at the top of their ability, learning new skills and challenging themselves with new responsibilities. Allstate's Enterprise Talent Market was developed with that in mind, to help you reach your full potential.
Data Science incorporates techniques across many disciplines – including mathematics/statistics, computer programming, data engineering and ETL, software development, and high performance computing – with traditional business expertise with the goal of extracting meaning from data to optimize future business decisions. Individuals in this field should be an expert/fluent in several of these disciplines and sufficiently proficient in others to effectively design, build, and deliver end to end predictive analytics products to optimize future decisions. Individual demonstrates sufficient analytic agility to quickly develop new skills across these disciplines as those disciplines evolve. Quantitative Research and Analytics (QR&A) is responsible for aligning with and contributing to corporate objectives by identifying and developing growth and profitability opportunities that will enable Allstate to generate profitable market share growth. The Infrastructure Expert is responsible for ensuring QR&A's server infrastructure is stable and performing.
The Data Analytics Engineer - Infrastructure Expert position demands a balanced combination of distributed systems administration and software development experience. Here, you will be challenged with problems regarding stability of high performing distributed systems, defining technology strategies, driving and influencing technology choices, and establishing standards and policies. The role involves high collaboration with Allstate Technology teams. You will be creating, setting and maintaining standards and best practices and patterns of development used within QR&A's infrastructure technology space. You will partner closely with Allstate Technology teams to provide design guidelines, impart knowledge on technical trends and serve as a Subject Matter Expert on systems configuration and integration, capacity planning, performance analysis and optimization.
As an industry expert, provides direction to senior leadership and AOR partners on technical solutions, concepts and platforms.
- Provides oversight for QR&A's infrastructure technology and domains
- Ensures QR&A's core infrastructure systems are stable and performing correctly.
- Proactively monitors and troubleshoots infrastructure issues and application performance.
- Partners closely with peers in Allstate Technology teams to influence and shape the strategic infrastructure target state.
- Engages in long-term technical planning and drives Infrastructure strategy and standards to meet QR&A's advanced analytics needs.
- Promotes technical standards, guidelines, Best Practices and quality control measures for enabling and implementing software systems.
- Educates peers in QR&A on standards, processes, and tools
- Develops automation for code deployments, packaging and other repeatable tasks
- Provides ongoing evaluation of infrastructure capabilities to ensure appropriate alignment of business objectives.
- Assesses options, risks and cost-benefit analyses as they pertain to data architecture, security, and other technology issues
- Stays current with emerging trends in systems development and delivery to ensure the organization uses the latest technologies.
Bachelor's or Master's/MBA degree in a field such as Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Data Architecture, or equivalent skills
- 10+ years of related experience or equivalent skills & ability.
- Working knowledge on current hardware especially for (distributed) numerical computation; this might include GPUs, FPGAs, Intel MIC, network layer, storage arrays, cluster file systems.
- Experience in analyzing / tuning performance of such computations (esp. multithread/multiprocess) is desired.
- Broad knowledge of advanced environment monitoring & management tools, performance modeling tools, capacity analysis tools, and other advanced modeling and trending tools in a distributed environment.
- Experience in UNIX System Administration and networking including working knowledge of TCP IP, DNS, HTTPS/SSL, load balancing etc.
- Working experience in server configuration management and virtual private cloud setups (esp. for distributed computing; example hipaa-compliant setups for sufficient data protection).
- Understanding of container technologies (Docker, Kubernetes, Mesos, etc.)
- Familiarity with Big Data technologies in Hadoop ecosystem.
- Knowledge of best practices related to security, performance, and disaster recovery.
- Advanced knowledge of professional standards and technology trends within the analytics industry.
- Demonstrated ability to work in an interdisciplinary team environment.
- Good understanding of SDLC, Agile methodologies and scrum development.
- Passion to learn new technologies and languages.
Good Work. Good Life. Good Hands®.
Allstate is where good people can build a rewarding career and we provide the resources you need to succeed, both personally and professionally. Our culture and employee programs have also drawn praise from outside organizations like Working Mother magazine, LATINA Style and Black Enterprise. Learn more about the resources, benefits, and programs Allstate has to offer you under the MyWorkLife tab on MyDesktop.
Hear what other Allstaters think. Follow us on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and LinkedIn or watch a video.
Please note, to be fully considered for this opportunity you must attach an updated resume to your profile when you apply, and if applicable, include:
- Your updated Allstate position(s) and titles, specific experiences and skills developed
- Committee/subgroup work
- Talent Share opportunities
- Completed programs/coursework
Visit "Managing Your Career" located under MyWorkLife (via MyDesktop) to further enhance your career profile and development goals.
Allstate generally does not sponsor individuals for employment-based visas for this position.
Effective July 1, 2014, under Indiana House Enrolled Act (HEA) 1242, it is against public policy of the State of Indiana and a discriminatory practice for an employer to discriminate against a prospective employee on the basis of status as a veteran by refusing to employ an applicant on the basis that they are a veteran of the armed forces of the United States, a member of the Indiana National Guard or a member of a reserve component.
For jobs in San Francisco, please see the notice regarding the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
It is the policy of Allstate to employ the best qualified individuals available for all jobs without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity/gender expression, disability, and citizenship status as a veteran with a disability or veteran of the Vietnam Era.