Director, Personal Lines
- Career Level
- Not Specified
With over 25 years of success, National Interstate (NASDAQ: NATL) is one of the leading specialty property and casualty insurance companies in the country. We offer more than 30 product lines with a focus on commercial transportation, Alternative Risk Transfer (ART), and specialty vehicle insurance. Here at National Interstate, we believe that providing quality and commitment to our customers as well as our employees is paramount to our success. Thanks to our talented and dedicated team, we are truly able to build an insurance experience around you. If you are ready to join an engaging and driven team such as ours, we would love to hear from you!
The primary responsibility of this position is to drive and be accountable for product success as measured by top and bottom line performance of all Personal Lines products, including RV, Companion Auto, Flood and new programs. This will be primarily accomplished through effective oversight, management and direction of underwriting and marketing of businesses in these niches. The person in this position will be ultimately responsible for all aspects of the products including but not limited to Underwriting, Sales, Systems and Infrastructure, Policy Issuance, Rating, Compliance, Loss Control, Budgeting and Personnel Management. Additional responsibility will include the successful identification and subsequent launch of products in newly identified industries and classes.
Oversee and manage product managers, underwriters, business development representatives, product analysts and others to ensure products achieve premium and profitability goals.
Hire and train staff to support the growth and profitability of the product
Lead and motivate personnel to the achievement of our financial and other business objectives.
Plan and budget product premium, losses, and expenses as part of our annual budgeting process.
Oversee Product Managers in overall management for the process of product enhancements, services, ways of doing business, ways to grow and coordinate all service providers in the completion of these projects
Manage direct expenses within the department's expense budget
Effectively communicate and coordinate with Vice President of Specialty and senior management on direction and management of products within the department.
Be responsible for leading and driving expansion initiatives in new industries or verticals. Identify targeted areas for expansion, develop relationships and ultimately lead efforts to introduce new products in these areas.
Promote a collaborative environment within the product staff and with other company resources.
- Bachelor's degree from a four-year college is required
- MBA or graduate degree in related fields is a plus
- CPCU, other insurance designation(s) is a plus
- Seven or more years of Personal Lines, Insurance General Management, and/or Underwriting/Marketing management with a track record of superlative results
- Fluency in prevailing technologies necessary to achieve the company's corporate growth and profitability objectives
- Strong foundation in underwriting, marketing and finance: analytical ability and excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Strong analytical skill set is required. Must be able to formulate analysis plans and gather, analyze, summarize, and present large quantities of performance data
- Incumbent should be a highly qualified executive-level sales and product manager
- Thorough knowledge of Excel, Word, Power Point, and Statistical Analysis Packages
- Travel Requirements: 11-20%