Lead Counsel - Litigation
- Career Level
- Not Specified
This position will be responsible for supervision and direction of nationwide litigation matters for Assurant's business units. The Lead Counsel will be based at Assurant's corporate offices in Atlanta, GA, and will report to the Vice President of Litigation based in Atlanta, GA.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Review and risk analysis of incoming lawsuits, regulatory complaints, and other pre-litigation matters.
- Selection and proactive supervision of outside counsel and coordination of litigation strategy to resolve lawsuits and other disputes expeditiously and economically.
- Travel to and attendance at mediations, corporate depositions, and significant trials and hearings.
- Represent the company where appropriate in litigation and pre-litigation matters.
- Collaborate with company management and staff to minimize litigation risk, provide risk management and legal counsel to internal claim personnel on claims and coverage issues, and implement policies and procedures to avoid future litigation.
- Interact with and assist the Litigation Practice Group and the Legal Department on other matters and projects as needed.
- Minimum of 10 years of civil litigation experience in a law firm and/or corporation, including significant experience in all phases of trial practice.
- J.D. and licensed to practice law in the State of Georgia.
- Ability to travel up to 25% of the time.
- Significant background in insurance defense and coverage issues.
- Prefer candidates with 1st/2nd chair trial experience at an Am Law 250 firm.
- Excellent academic credentials.
Local candidates preferred. No relocation offered.