Regulatory Senior Counsel
- Career Level
- Not Specified
This position will provide legal research, advice and counsel, guidance, direction and strategy for regulatory and compliance matters for Assurant's business units, which provide housing and lifestyle protection products, such as service protection plans and insurance on mobile devices, motor vehicles, consumer electronics and appliances, as well as other property insurance products and related services. The Regulatory Counsel will also provide advice and counsel to operations supporting the business units, such as claims. The Regulatory Counsel can be based at Assurant's corporate offices in Miami, Florida, or Atlanta, Georgia and will report to the Lead Regulatory Counsel in the Legal Department. Primary Responsibilities:
- Provide legal advice to assist Assurant in the management of significant and complex regulatory and compliance matters involving the organization, its subsidiaries and affiliates in various business areas including, but not limited to insurance, telecommunications, service contracts, mortgage services, real estate, and digital products and services.
- Research, analyze and determine effects of state and federal statutes, regulations and court opinions on business practices and procedures.
- Provide legal advice, counsel and recommendations to business units and operations on corporate action to avoid future regulatory and compliance exposure for existing products and future lines of business.
- Foster strong working relationships with in-house business attorneys, the Compliance team, business leaders and may advise same.
- Coordinate and/or supervise and direct outside counsel in activities associated with handling regulatory and compliance matters, as required.
- Present legal perspectives to business clients and periodically reports to senior management on applicable issues.
- Offer legal assistance with state regulatory examinations and investigations.
- Minimum of 6 years of experience handling regulatory matters in insurance, mortgage services, telecommunications and/or other highly regulated industries as part of a law firm or corporate law department
- J.D. from an accredited law school
- Current license to practice law in a US jurisdiction
- Experience interacting with state insurance regulators, federal regulatory authorities (esp. CFPB and FTC) and/or state Attorneys General
- Strong ability to influence without direct authority
- Resilient, agile thinker
- Ability to invite differing perspectives when addressing challenges
- Clear, effective oral and written communications skills
- Ability to evaluate fact situations, identify legal issues, locate applicable legal authority, analyze and understand statutes, regulations and case law and recommend appropriate and defensible courses of action
- Provide legal advice, counsel and recommendations to senior management on significant issues
- Work independently as well as collaboratively within a team environment
- Handle stressful situations, a heavy, diverse set of issues and provide a high level of customer service in a calm and professional manner
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships at all levels of the organization
- Prepare and deliver written and oral presentations to colleagues including senior management, on legal, regulatory and compliance issues.