Intern - Underwriting
- Career Level
- Not Specified
State Auto Insurance Companies has an exciting 10-12 week paid summer Internship located in Kansas City, MO. The length of the internship is dependent upon class schedule, but will tentatively start on May 22nd, 2017 and end August 11th, 2017. The intern will assist with various projects, activities and events within their department and will have the opportunity to learn about many different functions of State Auto and insurance.
1. Develop required information to quote, review and prepare new business, renewals and change requests in accordance with established guidelines to be reviewed by the manager, making recommendations for action.
2. Order, review, and process property valuations and loss control reports as necessary to underwrite a risk.
3. Communicate with agents as needed to service agents and assist the Account Executives to assure overwhelming service.
4. Participate in the review and evaluation of agencies, making recommendations on agency and book management issues.
5. Participate in special projects and assume additional responsibilities as necessary from time to time for the improvement of the sales and underwriting performance of the region/company.
Earning a minimum 3.0 GPA or 2.5 GPA with active student leadership/community involvement. Opportunity is open to current college Seniors, Juniors, rising Sophomores or those continuing graduate studies.
Able to work a 37.5-hour week. Willing to participate in a variety of projects and the ability to attend business meetings and community events, which will enrich the learning experience.
Minimum Experience / Education:
Working to obtain a degree from an accredited four year college, preferably in Insurance, Risk Management, Business, Finance, Economics or other related discipline. No additional work experience is required.
In order to apply for this position, individuals must submit a copy of their current resume and a completed application (paper or online).
***Loman Education Foundation offers a financial aid program for students interested in pursuing internship opportunities outside of their geographic location: http://www.cpcusociety.org/about-us/about-society/programs-charity/cpcu-loman-education-foundation
State Auto offers a competitive salary, an annual bonus program, an excellent benefit program including medical, dental, vision and prescription insurance coverage, life insurance, matching 401(k) plan, flexible spending accounts, tuition assistance, and a stock purchase plan. State Auto is committed to the principal of equal employment opportunity for all associates and applicants and to providing associates with a work environment that is free from discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions (hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, training and work assignments) are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, citizenship status, military status, or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws. State Auto will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. State Auto is a smoke-free work environment. We utilize drug screening and background checks as conditions of employment. For all exempt positions we also obtain motor vehicle reports (MVR s). State Auto will not accept candidates from third-party recruiters without a signed agreement with State Auto.