- Career Level
- Not Specified
The position leads a team of actuaries responsible for pricing commercial lines products. Responsible for building out profitable rating for our new, highly automated products, as well as assuring the profitability and growth of these products. Also responsible for filing rate changes with state insurance departments.
• Leads a team of actuarial analysts that are responsible for building out rating algorithms and factors for our new products. Assures that all pricing work adheres to actuarial standards of practice and that key business partners have a clear understanding of actuarial recommendations.
• Summarizes performance metrics for senior management and develops strategy and direction on the assigned lines of business.
• Ensures that rate changes are filed with insurance departments according to regulatory requirements.
• Works with IT to implement rate changes and to maintain the quality of our statistical data.
• Is a key consultant in the development of more sophisticated pricing tools and segmentation items and leads the implementation of these features.
Minimum Experience / Education:
• A Bachelor's degree in Actuarial Science, Math, Statistics, Economics, Engineering, or other related technical field
• Associateship in the Casualty Actuarial Society (ACAS) with a desire to pursue Fellowship
• A minimum of 5 years of actuarial work experience with increasing responsibility • Detailed knowledge of commercial lines pricing procedures and methodologies
• Some management experience is preferred
Communication and Collaboration Skills:
• Must have strong written and verbal communication skills.
• Must have the ability to effectively communicate complex technical concepts to both technical and non-technical audiences. • • •
• Must possess leadership skills to build and develop a team of high-quality actuaries.
• Must have strong negotiation skills to reach agreements on rate changes that will meet all company objectives.
• Must make predictions on future outcomes based on limited amounts of data, utilizing actuarial techniques and experience.
• New data sources and actuarial techniques must be explored and utilized in solving problems.
• Will have a thorough understanding of regulatory requirements in area of assignment.
• Possesses excellent critical thinking skills and creativity in solving problems.
• Must be able to see the big picture while having an exceptionally detail-oriented focus.
State Auto offers a competitive salary, an annual bonus program, an excellent benefit program including medical, dental, vision and prescription insurance coverage, life insurance, matching 401(k) plan, flexible spending accounts, tuition assistance, and a stock purchase plan.
State Auto is committed to the principal of equal employment opportunity for all associates and applicants and to providing associates with a work environment that is free from discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions (hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, training and work assignments) are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, citizenship status, military status, or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws. State Auto will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics.
State Auto is a smoke-free work environment. We utilize drug screening and background checks as conditions of employment. For all exempt positions we also obtain motor vehicle reports (MVR s).
State Auto will not accept candidates from third-party recruiters without a signed agreement with State Auto.