Customer Service Supervisor
- Career Level
This position is the second supervisory level in the Customer Service Department and will supervise an assigned team of associates. This position will be responsible for ensuring the consistent delivery of excellent customer service and attainment of the department’s daily quality and service goals. It will require maintenance of appropriate metrics on individuals’ performance and has monthly reporting accountability. The Customer Service Supervisor II will provide support to the other supervisors as directed by the Customer Service Manager, assist with the department’s budget and will also fill in for the department manager when the manager is not available.
- Uses advanced supervisory skills to provide daily supervision for assigned team of Customer Service associates to ensure accurate completion of all work assignments while meeting the department’s Service Level Agreements (SLA). Coordinate individuals’ work assignments with other department supervisors as needed by monitoring daily workflow and re-prioritizing assignments as needed throughout the day.
- Supervises the personnel functions of the assigned team, including the hiring, on-boarding, and employee development and performance through administration of the LEAP program. Monitor and audit the quality of each individual’s work completed monthly, provide coaching and feedback as appropriate.
- Maintain a functional knowledge of the processes and procedures for all core activities of the Customer Service Department to mitigate risks, solve complex problems, and recommend solutions in a creative and innovative manner to team members and management team.
- Administer supervisory- level authority, addressing check approvals, policy write-offs and exception processing problems as outlined in the corporate guidelines.
- Maintain appropriate record-keeping for the team’s assigned duties and prepare accurate periodic reports as requested by upper management.
- Represent the Customer Service Department in inter-department projects as assigned by upper management. Assist with intra-department special projects related to the current or future activities of the department as assigned. Interact effectively in project teams with PMO, IT, PI and BI and other departments as needed.
- Assist department manager in maintaining department budget through controlling variable expenses by ensuring best practices and procedures are followed. Research the use and value of outside vendors that could potentially be used to help with the process of daily workload.
- Act as back up to Department Manager as needed.
Minimum Experience / Education:
- Bachelor degree or equivalent work experience.
- Must have a minimum of 5 years experience in some combination of the following areas: payment processing or banking, customer service in a call center environment, or decision-making position within the insurance industry.
- A minimum of 1-2 years prior supervisory experience required.
Communication and Collaboration Skills:
- Highly professional written and verbal communication skills are required; must demonstrate excellent interpersonal, technical and analytical skills.
- Ability to present information and respond to questions from associates, agents, insureds, SA management, and other external contacts.
- Must be able to compose a variety of correspondence, reports and performance reviews in a manner that is accurate, clear, concise, and grammatically correct.
- This position must exemplify exceptional time management skills, and the ability to multi-task is necessary for this position.
- This position requires a high level of confidentiality.
- The Customer Services Supervisor II must be proficient with Microsoft Office Applications and Internet Explorer, and have some familiarity with State Auto’s policy processing and billing systems.
- They must demonstrate the ability to learn quickly to and stay abreast of new innovations, products and best practices in the company and industry.
- The Customer Service Supervisor II must have exceptional problem-solving skills.
- They must be able to work cross departmentally to ensure Customer Service concerns are addressed and resolved effectively with all applicable business units.