- Career Level
- Experienced (Non-Manager)
Senior Underwriter– Richmond, VA
Berkley Mid-Atlantic Group is a regional insurance operation offering commercial property casualty coverage in Delaware, the District of Columbia, Maryland, Virginia, Ohio and Pennsylvania. Named one of the Best Places to Work in Insurance since 2010, our employee centric culture encourages open communication and facilitates outstanding career opportunities.
We currently have an opening for a Senior Underwriter in the Capital Region Underwriting Department in our Richmond, VA office. If you enjoy working in a dynamic environment that rewards excellence and encourages entrepreneurial thinking, we’d like to hear from you!
PRINCIPAL OBJECTIVES OF POSITION
Evaluate (selection and pricing) and maintain (control) risk acceptability and profitability within the company’s underwriting guidelines and procedures for commercial risks. Manage and maintain good agency-company relationships. Meet and maintain the profitability and production standards established.
POSITION QUALIFICATIONS AND REQUIREMENTS
- Four-year college degree or equivalent combination of education and work experience.
- Minimum of five years commercial lines underwriting experience, including but not limited to CGL, Property, Packages, BOP, Auto, Crime, IM, Umbrella and/or WC.
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills.
- Good organizational skills, ability to handle multiple tasks and effectively prioritize.
- Possess AU or other equivalent insurance designation.
- PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Gather appropriate information to profitably underwrite a variety of commercial risks
- Research, formulate and implement solutions for complex issues and accounts.
- Determine final coverages and pricing for commercial risks within assigned authority level.
- Review claims and loss information on individual risks. Use this information to identify and re-evaluate accounts and develop strategy for dealing with exposures and frequency issues.
- Take a lead role relative to Key Account review and recommendations.
- Work with Risk Management Services, Claim and Territory Managers to manage profitability and identify favorable and unfavorable classes of business.
- Maintain established quality and service standards.
- Establish strong working relationships with key producers.
- Mentor less experienced underwriters and serve as a resource for others within the department as needed.
- Successfully build, manage and execute a New Business Pipeline.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Performance Appraisal - Attain “Exceeds Expectations” rating and meet major objectives.
- Successful completion of CPCU designation or equivalent insurance designation.
- Attend at least two CPCU or other industry workshops/meetings per year.
Apply for Sr. Underwriter
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly