Surety Underwriter, Senior
- Career Level
- Not Specified
UFG can offer you an award-winning workplace and a trustworthy, financially-stable company. While we've always known our commitment to employees and financial stewardship, it is good to have others recognize our dedicated efforts. UFG was named to the “2015 Top Workplaces” list by The Des Moines Register, and was also included on the “Forbes' America's Most Trustworthy Financial Companies” list for both 2014 and 2015. Additionally, UFG is a super-regional property and casualty insurer rated “A” (Excellent) by A.M. Best Company.
Most important, UFG can offer you a work environment where you can easily see yourself in the big picture from day one. You become part of a successful team that works together to do great things. In addition, we believe in supporting our employees by providing a great benefits plan and allowing our people to develop flexible work hours that align with their personal schedule.
UFG is seeking a career minded professional for a Senior Surety Underwriter for its home office in Cedar Rapids, Iowa. This person will produce and underwrite a profitable book of surety business by building and maintaining strong relationships with independent agents. Must demonstrate the strong analytical skills needed to evaluate new submissions for acceptability within company underwriting parameters. Visit current and potential contractor's place of business to better assess quality of accounts. Make regular agency calls to assess growth and profitability of agents in their territory. Prospect and appoint new agents in the territory. Promote a good image for company and provide quality service. This position is responsible for identifying areas of opportunity and cultivating new and renewal contract surety business by developing and maintaining long-lasting relationships with independent agents and brokers in mid-western states.▼ Read moreResponsibilities:
- Efficiently underwrite new surety submissions. Gather information regarding financial status, credit standing, and organization profit to analyze and determine acceptability of the risk.
- Interaction with professional NASBP member agents as well as other agents who do business with United Fire Group.
- Experienced in new market development; ability to prospect, appoint and manage producer relationships to achieve production and profitability objectives.
- Develop a profitable book of surety business of varying degrees of complexity for assigned territory, taking into consideration the strengths and weaknesses of the producer plant/territory and competitors, divisional objectives and overall market conditions.
- Solid following of existing broker and agency relationships within the assigned geographic region.
- Make prompt, sound decisions within underwriting authority based on appropriate underwriting information consultation.
- Accountable for accurate underwriting documentation/information in account management systems and adherence to documentation standards.
- Negotiate terms and conditions consistent with market segment requirements and standards within submission timeframe.
- Attend selected industry events that provide interactions with producers and/or potential accounts.
- Independently exhibit initiative with strong focus on results.
- Responsibility for building and maintaining effective business relationships with internal and external customers/coworkers in order to attract and retain profitable business.
- Travel is required with frequent overnight stays; up to 15 to 20% of time will be traveling. Must have a valid driver's license.
- Perform special projects as assigned.
Minimum seven-years' experience in contract surety underwriting. Four year college degree is required; majors in Accounting, Business Administration, Finance or Economics are preferred. Be actively engaged in additional industry and professional development and designations (AFSB, CPCU, MBA, etc.). Additional classes and training may be required. Should be proficient in: risk evaluation, contract knowledge, common sense judgement and big picture views. Strong communication (written and verbal), influencing negotiating, listening, and interpersonal skills to effectively develop/maintain productive internal and external relationships.▼ Read more