VP, Information Technology
- Career Level
Position Type: Full-Time
Pay Type: Salaried
Reports to: President
Unico American Corporation, through its subsidiaries, underwrites property and casualty insurance in Arizona, California, Nevada, Oregon, and Washington. The company provides property, casualty, health, and life insurance products, as well as insurance premium financing and membership association services. The company markets its insurance products primarily through a network of brokers and retail agents. Unico American Corporation was founded in 1969 and is located in Calabasas, California.
Unico is looking for a dynamic IT leader to work in partnership with the senior leadership team. The VP of Information Technology will be required to develop and execute an IT strategy focused on business growth.
The ideal candidate will have:
- Proven success in systems programming, integration and software architecture
- Insurance business experience
- Demonstrated vendor management experience
- Previous P&L accountability
- Proven success in project/change management
Unico takes pride in providing a positive work environment that is fostered by direct communication, collaboration, work-life balance and competitive compensation. Many of our employees have been with our company for over 15 years.
- Identify, develop and implement enhancements or changes that must be made to existing IT applications and services using mainframe and Internet/Intranet technologies.
- Identify, develop and implement enhancements or changes that must be made to existing interfaces.
- Assess the team's software development strategy, coding standards, code management process, and build process and propose experience-based progression strategies.
- Enlist and manage vendor relationships and results.
- Ensure unit tests and quality checks of delivered applications and services are conducted.
- Oversee building security, access and video surveillance systems.
- Ensure quality service is provided by the IT team.
- Ensure a quality experience for all end users.
- Ensure data security through company policies and procedures and internal controls.
- Performs all other assigned duties.
- Strategic Thinking.
- Technical Capability.
- Communication Proficiency.
- Service Oriented.
- Teamwork Oriented.
- Problem Solving/Analysis.
- Project Management.
- Time Management.
This position oversees a staff of six exempt employees.
Work is regularly performed in a combination of professional office environment and its grounds/parking.
This is both a sedentary and mobile position. Must be able to sit for long periods of time. Must also be able to walk, stand, bend, lift and move continually during working hours.
Position Type and Expected Hours of Work
This is a full-time position. The employee must be available during the company’s regular business hours, Monday through Friday, 8:30am to 5pm and for additional time outside of regular business hours, to support the company’s business needs.
Occasional travel is expected for this position.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Unico American Corporation operates is the parent company of wholly owned subsidiary organizations including Unifax Insurance Systems, Inc., Crusader Insurance Company, American Association for Quality Health Care ("AAQHC"), American Insurance Brokers ("AIB"), American Acceptance Corporation ("AAC") and Insurance Media Services.
Required Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or Information Systems
- 8+ years of IT experience
- 5+ years of IT management experience
- Experience in systems programming, integration and software architecture
Preferred Education and Experience
- Master’s degree
- 2+ years of insurance business experience
- I.T. Project/Team Management
- Knowledge of Mainframe/COBOL
- Knowledge of ShoreTel VoIP system
- Demonstrated ability to manage, maintain and enhance a VMWare environment.
- Demonstrated ability to manage, maintain and enhance an Active Directory environment.
- General knowledge of Microsoft server applications (IIS, SQL Server).
Additional Eligibility Qualifications
- Driving record that is free of suspensions, revocations and cancellations.