- Career Level
- Not Specified
United Fire Group is seeking a Litigation Specialist in our Claims Department to investigate, evaluate, negotiate and resolve claims in suit. The incumbent will conduct claim investigations, provide initial directions to counsel, coverage analysis, review of work product, and application of general technical expertise as required by the complexity of the claim. The incumbent will work independently, or with field representatives, independent adjusters, supervisors, managers, and attorneys as necessary.▼ Read moreResponsibilities:
- Conduct or guide all aspects of claim investigation. Analyze investigative material for liability exposure, coverage and damages to determine reserves and settlement values. Follow consistent reserve practices in accordance with company guidelines.
- Maintain close contact with Supervisor, Regional Claim Manager, Home Office Claims personnel and Counsel as necessary. Provide direction, control and guidance in the investigation and conclusion of claims. Be constantly aware of the expense factor in claims handling; whether by company representative, independent or defense counsel, in order to achieve company standards.
- Receive, evaluate and assign to counsel suits commenced against insureds or the company. Provide guidance to counsel as the discovery is underway. Conduct any additional investigation required.
- Deal directly with insureds, claimants or counsel in settling losses.
- Attend and participate in mediations, arbitrations, settlement conferences.
- Direct defense counsel with regard to settlement values, defense tactics and strategies.
- Complete internal and external reporting as required.
- Review attorney fee statements and negotiate adjustment of charges when appropriate.
- Communicate with agents as appropriate to keep advised of status, difficult claims situations and coverage questions.
- Keep apprised of changes in law and court procedures.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Must possess thorough knowledge of applicable law, policy coverage and litigation experience in a multi-line environment. A four year college degree preferred or, in the alternative, 10 years of multiline claim experience. Minimum of 10 years' experience handling complex claims to include litigation management. Must possess working knowledge of applicable laws, policy coverage, analysis and damage evaluation skills (to include knowledge of contractual law, construction defect claims. Strong negotiation skills are also required.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER: United Fire Group has a policy to provide equal opportunity for all. We continue to take positive action to recruit, hire, train, transfer and promote persons in all job categories based on the individual's ability to perform the job and without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation, disability or genetics.▼ Read more