Westfield is a great place to work and grow in your career. Our success depends upon the people we employ…individuals who embrace a winning vision of sharing knowledge, building trust and providing support for the team
Westfield provides a broad portfolio of insurance and financial services backed by knowledgeable employees and a network of more than 1,000 professional independent insurance agencies. Westfield operates in 21 states for property and casualty insurance and 31 states for surety. Westfield is one of the nation’s Top 50 Property & Casualty insurance companies, one of the top writers of farm insurance in the country, and the largest writer of contract performance bonds in Ohio.
Job Title: Account Examiner
Account Examiner Job Summary
The Account Examiner is responsible for the handling of processing, projects, and/or communication assignments for all product lines (e.g. Personal Lines, Small Business Accounts, Middle Market, Agribusiness/Farm, Special Risk, Workers’ Compensation) at Westfield. Responsibilities vary depending upon the Services area assignment. Duties may include processing and evaluating agency submitted requests for new business, endorsement, and renewals; phone and email correspondence with agencies; providing underwriting and automation system support; and project center assignments including those focusing on premium generation, coding, correct classification, or agency support activities such as MVR ordering or quote support. Positions report to CL Services and the Underwriting Business Center (UBC).
Essential Functions (primary functions and/or reasons the job exists in order of importance)
* Evaluates, makes decisions on, and processes policy new business applications, endorsements, and renewals for multiple lines of insurance in support of company premium growth, policy retention, premium adequacy, and customer-focused quality of new and in force business.
* Evaluates and updates policy information that supports premium generation, policy review, and assembly. This may include agency or business partner quote support, policy coding, coverage review (such as verification of discounts and surcharges), error corrections, risk factors, correct classification, and premium growth opportunities.
* Utilizes underwriting acumen and authority to handle underwriting reviews up to allowable tolerances/threshold. Reviews system submitted requests (e.g. applications, endorsements, coverage increases) including those by email and phone for type of risk and if underwriting referral is necessary. Updates policy coverages, reviews inconsistent coverages and determines if referral is necessary to the Underwriting Assistant or Underwriter.
* Handles telephone, email, and fax inquiries from Westfield agency partners utilizing best practice procedures (e.g. standardized greetings, proper call transfers, appropriate response time and follow-up).
* May provide automation support for the following: Agency Web Passport (AWP), agency management system integration to Westfield systems (including password recovery). Handles tasks related to the exchange of information between the company and agency management systems (e.g. download, bridging). Tracks agency contacting trends and elevates concerns (tier 2) when necessary. Evaluates and escalates to Tier 2 technical support.
* Partners with other Services teams (e.g. Customer Care Center, Westfield Services) to accomplish department service goals. Provides agency or business partners training through teleconference or WebEx. Assists the Legal department with reviews and responses. May on occasion make agency office visits with an underwriter or leader to discuss and/or explain services.
* Promotes awareness and education of commercial and/or personal lines through answering routine questions presented by underwriters, leaders, business partners, and policyholders. This may include training internal and external guests (e.g. agents, underwriters, and business partners).
* May act as a Subject Matter Expert (SME) and perform technical direction on a variety of processing or automation related issues and initiatives.
* Travels as needed in order to perform other essential functions.
Desired Qualifications/Experience/Certification/Education (in order of importance)
* Demonstrated prior work and/or college experience.
* Demonstrated customer service orientation, attention to detail and adaptability to various situations.
* Demonstrated organizational and time management skills needed to manage workflow and efficiency.
* Excellent oral and written communication skills resulting in the ability to interact and share information with agencies and customers.
* Proven ability to follow pre-set processes.
* Demonstrated PC experience including MS Office products.
* High School diploma, GED, or commensurate work experience.
* Valid driver’s license and a driving record that conforms to company standards.
Physical Requirements (specific to the role)
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
* Ability to work effectively in an office environment for 40+ hours per week (including sitting, standing, and working on a computer for extended periods of time).
* Ability to communicate effectively in a collaborative work environment utilizing various technologies such as: telephone, computer, web, voice, teleconferencing, e-mail, etc.
* Ability to travel as required.
This job description describes the general nature and level of work performed in this role. It is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, skills, responsibilities, knowledge, etc. These may be subject to change and additional functions may be assigned as needed by management.
We are an equal opportunity employer/minority/female/disability/protected veteran.