Corporate, Claims Attorney
- Career Level
- Experienced (Non-Manager)
Position Title: Corporate, Claims Attorney
Location: Berkley Southeast Insurance Group Corporate Office, Lawrenceville, GA
Reports to: Vice President, Claims
This position is responsible for a broad range of legal support for the organization including compliance, litigation, and regulatory matters relating to Berkley Southeast Insurance Group. The position will become involved in a broad spectrum of legal issues and provide advice and assistance to the claim department, company officers, and other company departments and staff. The candidate must be able to provide excellent legal advice while demonstrating a high degree of discretion and judgment, and keep abreast of the changing legal climate on relevant issues.
PRINCIPAL OBJECTIVES OF POSITION
Ensure compliance with laws and regulations pertaining primarily to Claims.
Provide support to the Claim Department by handling conflict files and extra-contractual matters.
Serve as a point of contact for governmental entities and internal stakeholders on compliance-related issues.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Oversee processes, create guidelines, develop training, and maintain documentation relative to all state and federal claim handling compliance. This includes but is not limited to: Medicare reporting and lien-handling; Adjuster licensing and bond issuances, and related Continuing Education credits; Fraud reporting through SIU vendor; WC EDI and other Worker’s Compensation filings.
- Create reference materials on compliance and regulatory issues. Communicate information about new regulations and laws. Create alerts for any key trends or case law in our footprint.
- Assist BSIG departments with SOX requirements, and SOX testing specific to Claims.
- Coordinate with State DOIs on any claim complaints, claim forms and filings, claim-related fines and penalties, mandatory reporting, claim-related audits, etc. Maintain logs of all DOI correspondence, fines and other items as needed.
- Handle and/or manage all extra-contractual claims across all lines of business in collaboration with each LOB claim leader.
- Handle all subpoenas for claim files, litigation holds, e-discovery requests, etc.
- Review and manage corporate contracts, leases, state filings, registrant statements, record retention policies and other regulatory matters. Work with WRBC on corporate legal issues.
- Assist LOB claim leaders with vendor management, including obtaining NDA’s, drafting and negotiating SLA’s and contracts.
- Assists LOB leaders with panel counsel or other quality audits.
- Report and confer with W. R. Berkley Corp on property or WC trials, and bad faith claims.
- Primary administrator for Bridger software used to screen payments, claims, policies for OFAC issues.
- Completes reinsurance reports timely
- Ensures all claim representatives have authority letters
- Provides coverage and other legal research to claim professionals, underwriters, and other BSIG stakeholders.
- Helps with special projects and training sessions as needed.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Minimum of four years claim-legal experience required.
- Corporate law experience desired.
- Juris Doctorate degree and admission to applicable state Bar and pertinent levels of courts in applicable states.
- Advanced knowledge of the theories, principles, practices and procedures of 1st and 3rd Party Property and Casualty insurance coverage and Tort law.
- Strong negotiation, interpersonal, organizational, legal research and verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to exercise independent judgment, and to work with and maintain confidential and sensitive information.
- Excellent analytical and problem solving skills
- Ability to manage priorities/workflow and handle projects from start to finish with
- Proficiency with personal computers, software, mainframe and claim handling systems
Apply for Corporate, Claims Attorney
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly