Sr. Commercial Lines Underwriter
- Career Level
- Experienced (Non-Manager)
Serves in a leadership role in the branch by providing guidance to underwriting team. Responsible for the management and growth of assigned book of business and acquisition of new business. Evaluates acceptability of individual risks and determines terms, conditions and pricing to achieve company profit objectives. Works with agents/brokers to develop productive and profitable relationships and to ensure compliance with company underwriting guidelines.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each of the following essential duties and responsibilities satisfactorily. Other duties may be assigned.
- Underwrites new business by reviewing the application for acceptability, requesting additional information, if necessary, and accepting or rejecting risks in conformance with company guidelines.
- Underwrites within authority set forth by Commercial Lines Vice President and within confines of company's reinsurance treaties and corresponds with agency to collect additional information.
- Underwrites renewal business by reviewing insured's file, producing agency's experience, nature and frequency of losses, loss control surveys, motor vehicle reports, and prior carrier loss experience.
- Assists Commercial Lines Vice President in development of new products, pricing, or coverage's needed.
- Develops productive and profitable relationships with agents/brokers.
- Maintains an established loss ratio.
- Meets established production goals and delivers timely service.
- Serves as the staff liaison for the assigned line in disseminating line updates and developing staff.
- Travels within the assigned territory to facilitate customer development and relationship through agency visitation and prospect calls.
- Pursues a program of continuing education by participating in industry sponsored and company sponsored educational courses.
- Assists in training of other personnel as directed.
Bachelor's degree in insurance or related field and 7 years of commercial lines underwriting experience or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Required Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Ability to apply principles of logical thinking to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions.
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations. Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, employees, agents, and vendors.
- Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, interest, commissions, proportions, percentages, circumference, and volume.
- Ability to project a warm and friendly manner in all business contacts and maintain a professional relationship with fellow workers, agency contacts, and the general public.
This position will be assessed based on achievement of the following elements of performance: Attainment of goals/standards for this position; Dependability (Appropriate use of time and resources, including but not limited to phone use, attendance, promptness, funds or asset use; Customer service/sensitivity (of internal and external customers); and Teamwork.
Other additional elements of performance will impact this position and will be provided by the supervisor of this position.
Functions generally performed in an office environment. Must be able to work as a team member to solve problems and exchange information. Extensive daily telephone contact with agents/brokers, marketing personnel, rating bureaus, and insureds.
Sedentary position which involves sitting and keyboarding, talking and hearing, some walking, lifting (10 lbs. or less), carrying, kneeling and bending. Specific vision abilities required include close and distance vision and ability to adjust focus. Some travel and overnight-out-of-town stays may be required.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
This job description may not list all the duties of the job. You may be asked by supervisors or managers to perform other instructions and duties. You will be evaluated in part based upon your performance of the tasks listed in this job description.