Software Developer - Paired Programming
- Career Level
- Not Specified
Where good people build rewarding careers.
Think that working in the insurance field can't be exciting, rewarding and challenging? Think again. You'll help us reinvent protection and retirement to improve customers' lives. We'll help you make an impact with our training and mentoring offerings. Here, you'll have the opportunity to expand and apply your skills in ways you never thought possible. And you'll have fun doing it. Join a company of individuals with hopes, plans and passions, all using and developing our talents for good, at work and in life.
Allstate Roadside Services (ARS) Technology has a fast-paced environment where we work hard, have fun, make history & challenge status quo. Allstate is committed to moving quickly as the market continues to expand and evolve, leveraging outputs of our test- and-learn approach to bring the best solutions and services to market.
Don't miss this opportunity to join an organization where your innovative thinking and technology skills can make an impact on the future of the driving experience and how we connected with our consumers.
In this role you will be empowered to translate our platform-based Allstate Roadside Services product strategy into highly functional, modular and high performing code.
You will develop code all day, every day on a full stack cloud platform, leveraging test-driven development and continuous delivery.
To help you grow, teach others and maximize productivity, you will work in a paired programming environment that is highly structured.
- You love to code and you're willing to fail fast and iterate to success.
- You're ready to judge your success by the success of your team and the happiness of your customers.
- You play well with others and have well developed communications skills. This is a paired programming environment so you have to be ready to be part of a team.
- You have experience and/or genuine interest in Test Driven Development (TDD) and agile methodologies. If you are not interested in truly living in this world, it's not going to work out.
- You are proficient in at least one programming language, preferably more. Java/J2EE is our core so you'll need to be willing to get up to speed, but there are others on the horizon. You will be pairing with developers and need to be able to understand code well enough to ask good questions.
- You have a clear understanding of cloud services, deployment models and distributed systems.
- 2-5 years of software development experience
- Experience developing web services and APIs or a strong willingness to learn
- Experience designing applications – in many iterations you will not receive a full spec and will need to feel comfortable thinking things through, filling in the blanks and iterating across sprints as we receive feedback from customer interactions
Good Work. Good Life. Good Hands®.
As a Fortune 100 company and industry leader, we provide a competitive salary – but that's just the beginning. Our Total Rewards package also offers benefits like tuition assistance, medical and dental insurance, as well as a robust pension and 401(k). Plus, you'll have access to a wide variety of programs to help you balance your work and personal life -- including a generous paid time off policy.
Learn more about life at Allstate. Connect with us on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and LinkedIn or watch a video.
Allstate generally does not sponsor individuals for employment-based visas for this position. Effective July 1, 2014, under Indiana House Enrolled Act (HEA) 1242, it is against public policy of the State of Indiana and a discriminatory practice for an employer to discriminate against a prospective employee on the basis of status as a veteran by refusing to employ an applicant on the basis that they are a veteran of the armed forces of the United States, a member of the Indiana National Guard or a member of a reserve component.
For jobs in San Francisco, please see the notice regarding the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
It is the policy of Allstate to employ the best qualified individuals available for all jobs without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity/gender expression, disability, and citizenship status as a veteran with a disability or veteran of the Vietnam Era.