Senior Telematics Data Scientist
7 days left
- Career Level
- Not Specified
Where good people build rewarding careers.
Think that working in the insurance field can't be exciting, rewarding and challenging? Think again. You'll help us reinvent protection and retirement to improve customers' lives. We'll help you make an impact with our training and mentoring offerings. Here, you'll have the opportunity to expand and apply your skills in ways you never thought possible. And you'll have fun doing it. Join a company of individuals with hopes, plans and passions, all using and developing our talents for good, at work and in life.
The Data Scientist family is accountable for using data to make decisions, which includes building predictive models and developing new machine learning techniques that enable Allstate to make better decisions to achieve its goals. The Data Scientist Family requires Analytic Agility, the ability to quickly learn new modeling/machine learning techniques, programming languages, and see how these ideas can integrate to optimize the business.
This role is responsible for leading the use of data to make decisions. This includes the development and management of new machine learning predictive modeling algorithms; the coding\development of tools that use machine learning/predictive modeling to make business decisions; searching for and integrating new data (both internal and external) that improves our modeling and machine learning results (and ultimately our decisions); and discovery of solutions to business problems that can be solved through the use of machine learning/predictive modeling. This role will also begin to manage projects of medium to high complexity.
- Uses best practices to develop statistical, machine learning techniques to build models on telematics data that would handle a wide range of problems ranging from probabilistic inference on phone trajectories, data fusion between noisy sensors, and classification of driving behavior.
- Work on data analysis and predictive modeling of sensor data collected from the car and mobile phones (GPS, accelerometer, gyroscope, etc.)
- Identify KPI's generated from telematics sensor data.
- Manages data and data requests to improve the accuracy of our data and decisions made from data analysis.
- Uses and learns a wide variety of tools and languages to achieve results (e.g., R, Python, Hadoop).
- Identifies languages and tools that can bring efficiencies or needed techniques to the team.
- Works on data and business problems to drive improved business results through designing, building, and partnering to implement models.
- Collaborates the with team in order to improve the effectiveness of business decisions through the use of data and machine learning/predictive modeling.
- Understands the business' problems to identify the optimal modeling approach.
- Communicates to team members, leadership and stakeholders on findings to ensure models are well understood and incorporated into business processes.
- Utilizes effective project planning techniques to break down moderately complex projects into tasks and ensure deadlines are kept.
- Works with leaders to ensure the project will meet their needs.
- The development and execution of a communication strategy, with appropriate coaching, that keeps all relevant stakeholders informed and provides an opportunity to influence the direction of the work.
- Reviews and evaluates on appropriateness of techniques, given current modeling practices, to senior leadership.
Degree in a quantitative field such as statistics, mathematics, computer science, finance.
• Master's or PhD preferred in a quantitative field such as statistics, mathematics, computer science, finance, or economics.
• Experience in using statistical modeling and/or machine learning techniques to build models on telematics / sensor data to drive company's business results.
• Strong understanding of telematics and mobile phone sensors.
• Experience in managing and manipulating large, complex datasets.
• Experience in working with statistical software such as SAS, SPSS, MatLab, R, CART, etc.
• Understanding of the Insurance market place; economics and regulation preferred.
• Ability to code and develop prototypes in languages such as Python, Perl, Java, C.
• Knowledge of advanced modeling technique.
• Ability to analyze and interpret moderate to complex concepts.
• Ability to provide written and oral interpretation of highly specialized terms and data, and ability to present this data to others with different levels of expertise.
• Demonstrated analytic agility.
Learn more about the Quantitative Research & Analytics team at Allstate.
The candidate(s) offered this position will be required to submit to a background investigation, which includes a drug screen.
Good Work. Good Life. Good Hands®.
As a Fortune 100 company and industry leader, we provide a competitive salary – but that's just the beginning. Our Total Rewards package also offers benefits like tuition assistance, medical and dental insurance, as well as a robust pension and 401(k). Plus, you'll have access to a wide variety of programs to help you balance your work and personal life -- including a generous paid time off policy.
Learn more about life at Allstate. Connect with us on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and LinkedIn or watch a video.
Allstate generally does not sponsor individuals for employment-based visas for this position.
Effective July 1, 2014, under Indiana House Enrolled Act (HEA) 1242, it is against public policy of the State of Indiana and a discriminatory practice for an employer to discriminate against a prospective employee on the basis of status as a veteran by refusing to employ an applicant on the basis that they are a veteran of the armed forces of the United States, a member of the Indiana National Guard or a member of a reserve component.
For jobs in San Francisco, please see the notice regarding the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
It is the policy of Allstate to employ the best qualified individuals available for all jobs without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity/gender expression, disability, and citizenship status as a veteran with a disability or veteran of the Vietnam Era.