Block Network Engineer
- Career Level
- Not Specified
Where good people build rewarding careers.
Think that working in the insurance field can't be exciting, rewarding and challenging? Think again. You'll help us reinvent protection and retirement to improve customers' lives. We'll help you make an impact with our training and mentoring offerings. Here, you'll have the opportunity to expand and apply your skills in ways you never thought possible. And you'll have fun doing it. Join a company of individuals with hopes, plans and passions, all using and developing our talents for good, at work and in life.
Storage Capabilities Team:
• Designs, engineers and manages Allstate's storage infrastructure. Must have the ability and experience to drive an effort that emphases scripting/automation of manual storage tasks. Responsible for lifecycle management, as well as, the development and deployment of new capabilities within the storage and Backup infrastructures. Acts as the SME's (subject matter expert) for all internal client needs and infrastructure projects. Accountable for the certification and implementation of new hardware, software, and capabilities for storage technologies.
Purpose of the position:
• Primary purpose is to increase storage automation efforts while delivering new capabilities to support Allstate's business needs.
Scope of position includes:
• Storage Automation
• Storage platforms/resources: Wintel, UNIX/Solaris/RHEL, HDS/IBM/PURE/EMC/Nimble Storage, NetApp, Brocade and Cisco UCS switches.
• Involves various internal businesses utilizing many diverse applications.
• High visibility interaction with Allstate business units' technical representatives, infrastructure engineers and administrators, at all levels, to ensure that expectations are understood, documented and met.
Design/create/automate storage solutions to meet business unit requirements. Is responsible for lifecycle management, as well as, the development and deployment of new capabilities through the use of storage automation. Represent the SAN and NAS teams for all internal client needs and infrastructure projects. Maintain a relationship with the storage vendors and stay abreast of their new technology offerings in hopes of implementing new capabilities that provide value to Allstate. Understand the “request for proposal” (RFP) process to secure competitive pricing for value added solutions. Translate requirements into storage and data protection tasks and documentation. Create change orders to document and guide expected changes for storage administrators. Verify solution was executed to specification. Research and respond to inquiries regarding solution alternatives, execution or delivery. Effectively manage multiple projects/tasks simultaneously.
Research new storage technologies applicable to the Allstate infrastructure. Benchmark, evaluate and make recommendations for the selection of storage management software and hardware products. Install, configure, test, and document procedures for all storage related software and hardware. Monitor storage usage and assist with capacity management for all datacenters. Document procedures for all storage policies, procedures, and guidelines. Provide 3rd level support for all production storage and/or data protection issues including performance tuning as necessary.
Required Technical Qualifications:
• In-depth knowledge of Python and PowerShell scripting
• Deep knowledge of storage administration including zoning, LUN security, and HBA configuration
• Broad understanding of SAN along with storage technologies and protocols.
• Experienced with storage infrastructure products such as EMC V-MAX, HDS G1000, IBM V9000, Nimble storage, PURE, VCE VBlock, Brocade switch product line, and Cisco UCS.
• Experienced in storage concepts and tools, fabric topologies, zoning, dynamic tiering, etc.
• Knowledge and experience on VMware ESX, UNIX (Solaris/RHEL), and Windows 2012
• Expertise in multipathing solutions including Solaris STM, VxDMP on RHEL, and Storage Foundation on Windows.
• Qlogic (Solaris/UNIX) and/or Emulex (VMware, Windows, RHEL) HBA Configuration
Desired Technical Qualifications:
• Storage products applications and toolsets (HDS, PURE, IBM, EMC, NetApp)
• Advanced features of storage array products
• Snapshot and Replication technologies
• VMware and MS Windows Server
• UNIX – Solaris and RHEL experience
• Excellent personal and written communication skills
• Ability to effectively manage relationships with other infrastructure teams, application teams and client representatives
• Organizational skills with attention to task details, documentation and target dates
• Team orientated, willing to share knowledge and collaborate with peers.
• MS Office – Word, Excel, Power Point, Visio, Project, SharePoint
Good Work. Good Life. Good Hands®.
Allstate is where good people can build a rewarding career and we provide the resources you need to succeed, both personally and professionally. Our culture and employee programs have also drawn praise from outside organizations like Working Mother magazine, LATINA Style and Black Enterprise. Learn more about the resources, benefits, and programs Allstate has to offer you under the MyWorkLife tab on MyDesktop.
Hear what other Allstaters think. Follow us on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and LinkedIn or watch a video.
Please note, to be fully considered for this opportunity you must attach an updated resume to your profile when you apply, and if applicable, include:
- Your updated Allstate position(s) and titles, specific experiences and skills developed
- Committee/subgroup work
- Talent Share opportunities
- Completed programs/coursework
Visit "Managing Your Career" located under MyWorkLife (via MyDesktop) to further enhance your career profile and development goals.
Allstate generally does not sponsor individuals for employment-based visas for this position.
Effective July 1, 2014, under Indiana House Enrolled Act (HEA) 1242, it is against public policy of the State of Indiana and a discriminatory practice for an employer to discriminate against a prospective employee on the basis of status as a veteran by refusing to employ an applicant on the basis that they are a veteran of the armed forces of the United States, a member of the Indiana National Guard or a member of a reserve component.
For jobs in San Francisco, please see the notice regarding the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
It is the policy of Allstate to employ the best qualified individuals available for all jobs without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity/gender expression, disability, and citizenship status as a veteran with a disability or veteran of the Vietnam Era.