- Career Level
- Experienced (Non-Manager)
The Production Underwriter is responsible for achieving the company’s growth and profitability objectives.
Production underwriters accomplish this through successful risk evaluation leading to retention of existing business and development of new business in accordance with the company’s underwriting philosophy. An important component of the job involves using negotiation and selling skills that allow production underwriters to effectively sell their underwriting decisions to assigned agents.
The Production Underwriter must be a team player and exhibit expertise in their particular area of responsibility, consistently exercising maturity, good judgment and the ability to foster positive professional relationships with company agents. Field travel will be required.
- Selects new business and evaluates renewal accounts in accordance with company underwriting philosophy, established authority parameters, as well as written/verbal procedures and guidelines.
- Demonstrates a professional, courteous attitude with agents. Responds quickly and ethically to all requests/issues. Delivers on promises and promises only what can be delivered.
- Provides accurate and thorough education to agents about the company’s risk selection philosophy and pricing guidelines.
- Achieves company growth objectives by recognizing sales opportunities, soliciting desirable business, and diligent follow-up on quoted business.
- Regularly travels to agencies providing field underwriting and quoting services.
- Reviews claims activity, loss control surveys, and inspection reports for existing policies, handling as required.
- Resolves policy audit issues.
- Determines the appropriate course of action for policy changes, delegating to underwriting and/or processing assistants for handling.
- BA/BS degree from an accredited institution, or equivalent
- 2-3 years experience in California workers’ compensation underwriting, or equivalent, small business preferred.
- Demonstrated ability to work in a fast paced, decision oriented environment.
- Excellent communication, negotiation and analytical skills.
- Strong organizational skills and ability to manage multiple tasks.
- Strong automation skills including MS Office products, Lotus Notes, desktop faxing etc.
- Ability to work independently and in a collaborative team environment.
- Strong sense of urgency and “can-do” attitude.