Claims - Major Case Unit Specialist
- Career Level
- Experienced (Non-Manager)
MCU Claims Specialist
Berkley Mid-Atlantic Group is a regional insurance operation offering commercial property casualty coverages in Delaware, the District of Columbia, Maryland, Virginia, Ohio and Pennsylvania. Named one of the Best Places to Work in Insurance since 2010, our employee centric culture encourages open communication and facilitates outstanding career opportunities.
We currently have an opening for an AVP, Claims Legal located in our Richmond, VA office. If you enjoy working in a dynamic environment that rewards excellence and encourages entrepreneurial thinking, we’d like to hear from you!
PRINCIPAL OBJECTIVES OF POSITION
Provides strategic and operational Claims leadership for Claims Legal matters, including a vision for and execution of industry best practices for litigation management and related programs. Assures litigation management performance for all Lines of Business is sound technically and financially. Develops plans for achieving corporate goals and objectives. Leads knowledge sharing and interactions with other departments related to Claims litigation. Assess legal and regulatory compliance in the Claim Department.
POSITION QUALIFICATIONS AND REQUIREMENTS
- Minimum of ten years of specialized experience in multi-line litigation management and related programs.
- Previous experience as the top level litigation management leader for a similar company; or as the second level litigation management leader for a larger company; or other equivalent experience.
- Law degree required. Advanced industry designations such as AIC or CPCU preferred.
- Experienced in Claims compliance administration.
- Excellent communication and presentation skills.
- Computer proficiency, working knowledge of Microsoft Office products.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Leads development and achievement of corporate goals and performance objectives for litigation management.
- As requested by the CCO or Claim Directors, conducts individual case level legal analysis and provides guidance on complex legal and coverage issues.
- Directly handles all extra-contractual claim files.
- Directly handles all reinsurance and trial-related reporting to Greenwich.
- Conducts QA file reviews on the Major Case Unit per QA program guidelines.
- Serves as a secondary level of supervision on Major Case Unit files over $500K and other files of special interest identified by the CCO or incumbent.
- Establishes internal best practices for litigation management, including responsibility for the efficiency and effectiveness of claims handling and related processes.
- Identifies and implements effective litigation management programs. Selects and manages related vendor service levels and performance, including administration of an effective Panel Counsel program and related programs for ancillary services.
- Monitors emerging Claims Legal issues in all lines of business; attends industry meetings and conferences as appropriate; assures staff is trained appropriately on new developments; shares knowledge with other departments.
- Responsible for the design and effective execution of all Claims Compliance programs.
- Serves as a member of the Claims Management Team responsible for overall department management and coordination.
- Perform other duties and projects as assigned.