Underwriter - Small Commercial
- Career Level
- Experienced (Non-Manager)
SMALL COMMERCIAL UNDERWRITER
We currently have an opening for a Small Commercial Underwriter in our Richmond, VA office. If you enjoy working in a dynamic environment that rewards excellence and encourages entrepreneurial thinking, we’d like to hear from you!
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Underwrite business (new or renewal)
- Gather appropriate information to profitably underwrite a variety of commercial risks.
- Determine final coverages and pricing for commercial risks within assigned authority level.
- Review claims and loss information on individual risks. Use this information to identify and re-evaluate accounts and develop strategy for dealing with exposures and frequency issues.
- Maintain established quality and service standards.
- Work collaboratively with assigned Small Commercial Sales-Underwriter to set strategy and growth goal with co-assigned agents, inclusive of identifying and cultivating new business opportunities with assigned agents, and managing renewals
- Identify and execute on cross-sell and up-sell opportunities on both new submissions and existent accounts
- Be a trusted advisor to both our agents and Sales-Underwriters
- Educate our agents on differentiated product offerings, and ease of doing business systems
- Perform other duties as assigned.
POSITION QUALIFICATIONS AND REQUIREMENTS
- Bachelor’s degree in Business or equivalent combination of education and work experience
- Prefer 3 years experience in Insurance Sales, Underwriting and/or Marketing
- Demonstrated ability to influence internal and external customers
- Demonstrated ability to develop and build a book of business
- Ability to effectively communicate with all levels of employees and management
Berkley Mid-Atlantic Group is a regional insurance operation offering commercial property casualty coverage in Delaware, the District of Columbia, Maryland, Virginia, Ohio, Kentucky and Pennsylvania. Named one of the Best Places to Work in Insurance since 2010, our employee centric culture encourages open communication and facilitates outstanding career opportunities.